JBL 1200.1 to little power?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

JBL 1200.1 to little power?

Ok im finally aquiring all of my stuff to put togeather my system, and now im looking at amps. I was planning on running 2 12" Infinity kappa perfects, each in a 1.0 sealed box. Ive heard that the infinitys are super power hungry, so now im second guessing that choice in amps. What do you think? And if not that amp what other amp do you think would be good?

Brian

I'd recommend a Soundstream Reference 700 or Reference 1000. They're beastly and can easily run two Perfect 12"s. (The Reference 1000 uses a 100 ampere fuse). A friend of mine had a Reference 1000 that he used to run three JL 10w6s (it was stolen though). Either amp is readily available for a decent price on eBay. Any car audio nut will tell you that the old Soundstream Reference models are great amps (as well as their Art Series.) If you haven't made/bought the box yet, I'd use a ported one. It'll need to be a tiny bit larger, but the frequency response of the subs will be much greater. They'll be able to play a lot lower and the SQ will be much better.
    Originally posted by Gruelius
    and i do not know what bugg brakes are.

Comment

two 12's is alot for an E30. I hope youre gonna dyna mat or something similar
      FOKAI DA'MA'SHI'I ENSANE GRAPPING INT.

Comment

JBL 1200 is plenty of power. You know that amp puts out 1200 watts RMS. Kappa Perfects are only 350 watts RMS. So you'll have 500 extra watts to play with.
        The bad thing about those amps is that they have a low input voltage so if your headunit puts out anything over 4 volts then you wont get full potential.

If you have Dual 4 ohm subs then I would recommend a Hifonics bx1000d because you could get full wattage at 1 ohm.

But, if you have single coil subs then I would look at something that puts out full power at 2 ohms.
        sigpic

Comment

A single sealed 10" with solid power is already too much for an E30.

Meh.

Comment

Originally posted by Mystikal
            A single sealed 10" with solid power is already too much for an E30.

Meh.
            You should have heard my 15" Brahma pushing 1600 watts rms.

ImageMotel.com - Free Image Hosting

ImageMotel.com - Free Image Hosting
            sigpic

Comment

Thanks for the info. ill check out the amps suggested. Also, ive heard the perfects in a ported box and much prefer the sealed box, also with the ported your susuposed to set a cutoff at the freq the box is tuned for so you dont damage the sub.

Brian

Comment

Originally posted by Brian 89 325i
                Thanks for the info. ill check out the amps suggested. Also, ive heard the perfects in a ported box and much prefer the sealed box, also with the ported your susuposed to set a cutoff at the freq the box is tuned for so you dont damage the sub.

Brian
                What type of music do you listen to? You may have heard them in a ported box that was
                pre-made and probably not tuned even close to what it should be, thats probably why you got turned away from ported.
                IMO a ported box will sound better in every aspect if it is tuned properly and it
                will give higher output.

I had that box in the pic tuned to 28 hertz which is the exact resonant frequency of that sub and it was pretty damn low.

If you listed to rap then I would suggest a 34 to 38 tuning, if you listen to rock then I would suggest tuning as low as the sub can handle.
                For most people that listen to many types of music, a tuning of about 32 will sound good overall.
                If you decide to go ported then just ask me and I can tell you the port length and dimensions you need in order to tune a box properly to that sub.

As for the damaging speaker issue, every sub has its own resonant frequency. Usually people not tune any lower than this # just to keep from
                bottoming out your sub. You can tune lower than this but if you know the song you are playing is
                too low then you can risk stressing your sub untill it blows. Most people don't have to worry about that, unless you want to
                listen to "Late Nite Heat" over and over.
                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                X