CD43 vs Nakamichi CD-400?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

CD43 vs Nakamichi CD-400?

The very servicable setup that I had - RCA minicable hardwired into stock premium headunit for iPod play - died when the tape got stuck in the deck without knowing that it's there.

So, I'm looking to replace this with something that looks stock and sounds good but is not too much trouble. From what I've seen either the BMW CD43 or the Nakamichi CD-400 seem like the best choices. Does anyone have any thoughts about this? Most importantly, which is easier to install? It seems as if the CD43 is harder - need to modify the HVAC faceplate, etc. Since I am technically inept, I will need to take this somewhere to be done, and so I am looking for something with minimal expense and potential for being screwed up.

Any thoughts would be much appreciated.

My CD-400 skips on every crack in the pavement. Sounds great and looks even better, but she's a skipper!

Ed
    1988 E30/S50...now with S52; Track
    1994 Miata R; ES Solo2
    1998 Lexus LX470; Wife (Slee'd anyway)
    2002 BMW 530i; A+ Commuter
    2002 BMW 325iT; Sport/Premium 5-speed
    2011 21' EconoTrailer

Comment

I have been looking around and I think that I am going to go for the C43 instead: I don't need CD capability and can thus save myself $150.

One other question: in a post i found on the archive here, someone was walking through their installation of a C43 and they said that the HVAC panel needed to be modified. I asked the eBay seller about this and he said that this was not necessary. Anyone else have experience in regards to this? (I have a 87 325is with 'premium' setup, but i can't imagine that this makes a difference). If HVAC modification is needed, how drastic and how difficult is it?

thanks for any help...

Comment

Originally posted by ed94r View Post
        My CD-400 skips on every crack in the pavement. Sounds great and looks even better, but she's a skipper!

Ed
        Have the laser re-aligned.
        Originally posted by Gruelius
        and i do not know what bugg brakes are.

Comment

OK, Here is the deal on the HVAC panel. There is a lip that keeps the deck in place. If that lip is left unmodified, the CD43 (or whatever) will protrude about 3/16" from the panel. If you are OK with that, rock on. Otherwise, be prepared to make a custom HVAC panel.

HTH,
          Luke

Closing SOON!
          "LAST CHANCE FOR G.A.S." DEAL IS ON NOW

Luke AT germanaudiospecialties DOT com or text 425-761-6450, or for quickest answers, call me at the shop 360-669-0398

Thanks for 10 years of fun!

Comment

Originally posted by kencopperwheat View Post
            Have the laser re-aligned.
            Who is capable of performing this. I quick searched and could not find any support for car audio repairs.

Ed
            1988 E30/S50...now with S52; Track
            1994 Miata R; ES Solo2
            1998 Lexus LX470; Wife (Slee'd anyway)
            2002 BMW 530i; A+ Commuter
            2002 BMW 325iT; Sport/Premium 5-speed
            2011 21' EconoTrailer

Comment

Working...
            X