Seperate power

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Seperate power

So i got a alpine MVR-F450 amp and am wondering how to divide up the power. Like lets say i want more bass going to my sub and almost no bass going through my speakers?

once again....i am such a
    Luke
    98 M3 with many goodies

What's the wattage rating on it? RMS into 4 ohms.

What are you using it to drive? 2 mids and a sub?
    Originally posted by Gruelius
    and i do not know what bugg brakes are.

Comment

Originally posted by kencopperwheat
      What's the wattage rating on it? RMS into 4 ohms.

What are you using it to drive? 2 mids and a sub?

see i am total noob, kinda dont even know what you are talking about. :(

I am going to power one 10" sub, 2 - front 5.25 components, and 2 - rear 5.25 2-way components

here is what I got off crutchifield.com on the amp

Key Features:

50 watts RMS x 4 + 200 watts RMS x 1 at 4 ohms
      60 watts RMS x 4 at 2 ohms + 200 watts RMS x 1 at 4 ohms
      120 watts RMS x 2 + 200 watts RMS x 1 in bridged mode
      2-, 3-, 4-, or 5-channel output

please dont make fun of me
      Luke
      98 M3 with many goodies

Comment

run the 4 50watt channels to your 5.25" speakers and then run the 200watt mono channel to your sub.

Comment

thanks man :up:

If it wasnt for you and couple other people in the ICE forum, then noone would get questions answered.
          Luke
          98 M3 with many goodies

Comment

No prob. I do what I can. Post more questions if you have them.

Comment

I agree use a 4 channel amp to run the seperates and a dedicated amp for the subs, don't bother with a 5 channel amp. Also use good wiring and a distribution block with built in fuses and a stiffening cap is also a good idea.

M

Originally posted by kencopperwheat
              run the 4 50watt channels to your 5.25" speakers and then run the 200watt mono channel to your sub.

Comment

Originally posted by Mike 91 318ic
                I agree use a 4 channel amp to run the seperates and a dedicated amp for the subs, don't bother with a 5 channel amp. Also use good wiring and a distribution block with built in fuses and a stiffening cap is also a good idea.

M
                Huh? Ken never said anything about not using his new 5-channel. And why not? 5-channels are a great way to save space and simplify wiring.

Comment

wait your using one amp to power everything
                  your sub is gonna be tryin to sing the songs and your speakers are gonna be way overbassed
                  Your signature picture has been removed since it contained the Photobucket "upgrade your account" image.

Originally posted by TimKninja
                  Im more afraid of this thread turning into one of those classic R3v moments, where Pizza gets delivered.

Comment

Originally posted by NC325iC
                    wait your using one amp to power everything
                    your sub is gonna be tryin to sing the songs and your speakers are gonna be way overbassed
                    99.9% of the 5-channel amps out there are made to run an entire system. Thus, there will be an active low-pass crossover on the 5th channel for the sub. Likewise, there will be high-pass (or should be) active crossovers for the 4 mid speakers.

Comment

I know Ken didn't say to not use a 5 channel amp, "I" said don't use one... It's better to have two amps. If yo need me to explain why then I will.

M

Comment

Originally posted by Mike 91 318ic
                        I know Ken didn't say to not use a 5 channel amp, "I" said don't use one... It's better to have two amps. If yo need me to explain why then I will.

M
                        Please explain.

Xtant makes some nice 3 and 5 channel amps. PG used to make some KILLER mid+sub combo amps (read: Route 66 and Frankenstein; if you're old school car audio).

As long as you have a cap for your system, 1/2 farad at least. Your subs should run fine. Most combo amps have separate power supplies too.

Comment

First off I'm sure there are some good 5 channel amps but I'll bet they're very costly... I haven't seen any 5+ channel amps that are high current and 1-2 ohm stable. If you want to run a small single voice coil sub and 4 speakers then a 5 channel will work. If you want to run some decent DVC subs and have clean power with high s/n ratios and low thd .007 and under then you're better off getting two amps. Also subs amps have larger transformers than 5 channel amps do and will last longer as they don't have to work as hard. As for the wiring it's not a big deal. As for size/space 5 channel amps are huge, probably close to the same size as two decent amps. In my case space was an issue, I couldn't have an amp that was very long, I could only use two short amps.

M

Comment

5-channel amps are large, and costly. But they're no more expensive than two separate amps. All of the 5 channel amps I've seen are 2-ohm stable in all channels, especially the 5th one. Thus running a sub with two 4 ohm voice coils would be no problem. The old PG special edition amps were 1-0hm (and I *think* some were even 1/2 ohm stable).

If you're giong to run a competition or high-fidelity system, you probably want to go with separate amps. But if you're just running 4 coaxes and a sub, the 5-channel will do the trick.

Comment

Wow I didn't know they were stable at or below 2 ohms, that's good to know. Back when I first got into car audio in the late 80's Rodek was the king, do you remember those amps? They looked like a large silver brick with cooling fins and had a 4 or 6 gauge power wire :) I think this was just before phoenix gold hit the scene. I know PG used to be good, are they still? I used to have some kick ass systems back then, but now my priorities have changed, I have a house to pay for and a family to support. I decided to do up my car stereo as a kind of a mid life crisis thing, I'm refusing to get old. I think once you say "turn it down" you're old.

M

Comment

Working...
                              X