hardwiring sirius

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

hardwiring sirius

i want to hardwire my sirius radio to power on when the car starts, basically the same way an amp does, however i do not know which wire is power and which is the ground. I attached pictures of what the wires look like inside of the cigarette lighter adapter, labeled with a red and yellow circle, which one is the power line and which one is ground? thanks...

1991 318is ---230K - DD
    1991 318i ---- 308K - retired

Originally posted by RickSloan
    so if you didnt get it like that did you glue fuzzy oil to the entire thing?

Yellow is ground, red positive.

Make SURE you get the correct voltage at the plug for your receiver. Mine takes 5v, yours might take 5v or 12v. I had to get an adapter to wire it like that.
    -Dave
    2003 Lincoln Towncar | 1992 BMW 325iC | 1968 Cadillac Deville

Need some help figuring out the ETM?

Comment

Since that is obviously a ciggy lighter adapter taken apart, he should be OK to direct wire.

Closing SOON!
      "LAST CHANCE FOR G.A.S." DEAL IS ON NOW

Luke AT germanaudiospecialties DOT com or text 425-761-6450, or for quickest answers, call me at the shop 360-669-0398

Thanks for 10 years of fun!

Comment

new question - where should i get power for my unit? im pretty sure it doesnt need to be a constant source as it remembers all the stations when i unplug it, i was thinking about the amp remote turn on, however i do not know which wire it is in the back of my CD deck, thought it was supposed to be blue, however i have two blue wires, one has a white stripe, but after hooking it up to a MM it reads negative???? and the other wire is connected to some white wire, that gets 12v when the ignition is on, so i dunno where that white wire goes and if i should just use the solid blue wire....any suggestions thanks.
        1991 318is ---230K - DD

Comment

Since I had no idea what that thing actually draws current wise, I just used the the red wire, which will operate the Sirius with the ignition.
          -Dave

Comment

the red wire coming out of the back of the radio? id like the sirius to come on when i put the key in accessory as well, so i can listen to the radio while im stopped for a little while.
            1991 318is ---230K - DD

Comment

The red wire will supply power anytime the radio can be turned on. However, if you turn the radio off but your key is in accessory or on, the Sirius will remain on. (My radio is always on any time the key is on anyway)
              -Dave

Comment

You want to make it really cool? Go buy a basic relay. Use constant to 30, ground to 85, remote (white on factory deck) to 86, and 87 to power the Sirius.

This way the Sirius turns on when you turn the radio on.

Closing SOON!

Luke AT germanaudiospecialties DOT com or text 425-761-6450, or for quickest answers, call me at the shop 360-669-0398

Comment

cool thanks, what was the white wire for tho? i have an aftermarket sony deck, and the white wire is crimped to my solid blue wire...question is what is the white wire turning on?
                  1991 318is ---230K - DD

Comment

That would be the signal for your power antenna.
                    -Dave

Comment

Does your Sony have a blue/white? If so, use that. If not, blue will do.

Closing SOON!

Comment

well i dont have a power antenna, i dont even have a motor mounted where it should be so.... mine has a blue/white and a solid blue. the white wire is connected to one of them and the other has nothing. i believe the white/blue has nothing. thanks.
                        1991 318is ---230K - DD

Comment

OK, so now this is far easier to walk through.

Blue/white of Sony to pin 86, ground to pin 85, yellow of Sony to pin 30 and run pin 87 to the positive side of the Sirius. Of course, ground the sirius at the radio, too.

Closing SOON!

Comment

the solid blue is likely a power antenna wire, white with blue stripe will be the remote wire
                            as im sure luke told you
                            Your signature picture has been removed since it contained the Photobucket "upgrade your account" image.

Originally posted by TimKninja
                            Im more afraid of this thread turning into one of those classic R3v moments, where Pizza gets delivered.

Comment

new problem, i hooked it up straight to the blue/white wire, threw an inline fuse in there, and now the sirius cuts out sporadically and wont turn back on. on startup the sirius will power up fine, then about 3 minutes later it just shuts off... whats up with that.
                              1991 318is ---230K - DD

Comment

Working...
                              X