Help with new stereo please

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Help with new stereo please

Hey everyone, So this is gonna be a long one i want to try and make this detailed so you guy know where i am at. But the general info is i bought a new stereo from a cool guy and i am trying to but it in my car but i am having some major difficulties but i firmly believe if we all work as a team i might be able to have a functional stereo in my car so with that said lets get started :-D.

These are the wires from my car (1989 325i no amp as far as i know)

-So what we are looking at here is the wires coming from the car i loosely labeled them by the labels that were on the stock stereo. where it has the Left and right tabs those are the stereos notice only 4 wires 0_o. Now i read somewhere you only connect the positives so if thats the case then it makes sense because i followed the wires from my speakers and indeed the ones on the right are blue and left are yellow. but because the wires coming from the speakers change pattern behind the stereo i have no idea which is positive and negative if you need more detail on that just ask. Also notice from the wires labeled battery their are two wires but on the new stereo there is only one so where does the second wire go?? This situation also seems to be present on the wire labeled "Ignition Ground"

By the way don't ask me how it was like 102 in my car and 100 outside and i cut my antenna wire but thats the least of my problems :-p.

Just to give you guys a feel for whats up with the new stereo wires it looks like this

red is ignition switch
    black is ground
    white,green,gray,violet are speaker wires striped are negatives
    fatty yellow is the battery constant

so i am going to stop here if you need anymore information i have plenty of pictures and i will try my best to help you help me thanks in advanced everyone.

if you have premium sound i.e. tweeters in the doors you have a factory amp. im assuming you have a factory balance knob above the where the radio fits. to get around that you have to run new wire to the front speakers. use whats there for the rears. the second white wire is for the power antenna (i think) if so hook blue with white stripe to it.

but regardless to get sound out of the fronts you have to run new wire to them.

t minus 45 minutes till StereoInstaller1 gets here and corrects me. he is THE stereo installer afterall

Comment

Coolio, well i will buy some speakers wires for the front tomorrow then for now i need to get at least power to the stereo but i have two "ground ignition wires" and 2 "battery wires" i have no idea what to do with those.

Comment

Actually, DaveSmead did a great write up on factory color codes.

Pull your trunk liner down right around the antenna. There will be a metal brace, (part of the body) and behind that will be your factory amp.

Late model cars (i.e., your '89) come both with and without amps, with and without faders. No clue what ya got until you take it apart.

So, without further delays, pull the left trunk liner panel and look for that amp!

We will then proceed to get you connected on some speakers and how to wire your deck properly.

Luke

Closing SOON!
        "LAST CHANCE FOR G.A.S." DEAL IS ON NOW

Luke AT germanaudiospecialties DOT com or text 425-761-6450, or for quickest answers, call me at the shop 360-669-0398

Thanks for 10 years of fun!

Comment

I used the instructions from this website.....
          http://www.unitedbimmer.com/forums/c...termarket.html

Good luck with your install...
          Rolando
          My73bimmer
          Deerfield bch, Florida
          1992 BMW 325i Convertible - (sold)
          2006 Mini Cooper S
          1973 BMW 2002tii (Sold) , 1988 M3 (Sold),

Comment

Alright i pulled back the liner and this is what i found..... Just ask if u need anything ill make it like your here yourself :-D

and here is the fader with wires behind it

Comment

Originally posted by my73bimmer View Post
              I used the instructions from this website.....
              http://www.unitedbimmer.com/forums/c...termarket.html

Good luck with your install...
              Thanks buddy i will try and use this as a reference but my wires are different colors.

Comment

So i looked around and found something with wires in it.....one of the plugs says amp on it so i assume it might be it. The plug on the left side controls my rear lights maybe the plugs on the left is what i am looking for??

Comment

So i am out there like everyday just trying to get power the unit and its just not happening i tried using "my73's" suggested link and no success my wires are different colors than his and i believe what i believe to be an amp is changing things up maybe?

Comment

Does your car has the premium stereo unit ? Mine had the premium one..you can easily figure it out just by the tweeter on the side of the doors.
                    By the head unit, the wires that i found on mine were
                    Yellow/Red - Positive Left Front
                    Yellow/Brown - Negative Left Front
                    Blue/red - Positive Right Front
                    Blue/Brown - Negative Right Front
                    Yellow/Black - Positive Left Rear
                    Yellow/Brown - Negative Left Rear
                    Blue/Black - Positive Right Rear
                    Blue/Brown - Negative Right Rear

I had to remove the amp. When I still had the amp connected on the system, my radio sounded crappy. When I removed the amp and I left the 2 connectors , I connected/spliced the wires this way...
                    Grey/red and yellow/red (Positive Left Front)
                    Grey/Purple and Yellow/Brown (Negative Left Front)

Grey/White and Blue/red (Positive Right Front)
                    Grey/Brown and Blue/Brown (Negative Right Front)

Black/Red and Yellow/Black (Positive Left Rear)
                    Black/Purple and Yellow/Brown (Negative Left Rear)

Black/White and Blue/Black (Positive Right Rear)
                    Black/Brown and Blue Brown (Negative Right Rear)
                    Rolando
                    My73bimmer
                    Deerfield bch, Florida
                    1992 BMW 325i Convertible - (sold)
                    2006 Mini Cooper S
                    1973 BMW 2002tii (Sold) , 1988 M3 (Sold),

Comment

Working...
                    X