Removing factory tweeters from pods.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Removing factory tweeters from pods.

I understand the concept of getting them out...I'm just not sure which part I should be cutting.

Out side the plastic ring that encases the tweeter? Or inside the lip of the plastic ring?

EDIT: Nevermind fellas, just got it out.

With lack of a decent blade, I think it proved harder than it should have been.
    If anyone get's confused like me, it is the outside of the plastic ring you should cut.

Now, off to do my second one.

FWIW, the JBL iMount system fits into the hole left by the factory tweeters PERFECTLY, with just a little over hang from the lip. No glue needed.
    Last edited by Jall; 04-07-2008, 12:34 AM.

My Flickr

Umm, no cutting involved for me. Soak them in goo gone or something like that overnight. I fill the cavity on the inside between the tweeter and the housing. Next morning, I used a big flat head screwdriver, put it in the above mentioned gap and twist it. You will hear cracking, but that is what you actually want. Just have to be careful.
    '96 328is
    '97 m3
    '04 zhp

Comment

Wow, you guys make this like ten times harder than it is.

Use Utility knife and medium flat blade screwdriver. Cut ring of glue that attaches tweeter to housing. You won't get all the way through, but you will make a difference.

Pry carefully around the edges of the tweeter, being careful to NOT damage the housing.

Done.

Closing SOON!
      "LAST CHANCE FOR G.A.S." DEAL IS ON NOW

Luke AT germanaudiospecialties DOT com or text 425-761-6450, or for quickest answers, call me at the shop 360-669-0398

Thanks for 10 years of fun!

Comment

I just smack the magnet with a screw driver handle it usually pops right out.
        Tri color fabric for sale here!
        http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=105922

Comment

Originally posted by StereoInstaller1 View Post

Use Utility knife and medium flat blade screwdriver. Cut ring of glue that attaches tweeter to housing. You won't get all the way through, but you will make a difference.

Pry carefully around the edges of the tweeter, being careful to NOT damage the housing.

Done.
          +1 takes like 5 min for both.

Comment

When you order these new, do they come as empty housings ?
            Mtech1 v8 build thread - https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/sho...d.php?t=413205

OEM v8 manual chip or dme - https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/sho....php?p=4938827

Comment

Originally posted by StereoInstaller1 View Post

Done.
              Yeah, that's what I did. Except I left my toolbox in my car, at my auntie's house, so I didn't have a utility knife.
              I was scraping away at the glue with a pair of surgical scissors.

My Flickr

Comment

Working...
              X