Super Noob Questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Super Noob Questions

Ok, I am very new to in car entertainment, but I want to learn. I've always been good with wiring and know the basica and eneral stuff, but I want to know specific stuff.

Like, what's the difference between component and coaxial speakers?

Also, with amps, what is "impedence" and what exactly do ohms measure? HWhat's withMono and Stereo too? Sensitivity?

Anything else that is need to know info would be great if someone could explain, like how are capacitors used and such. Basically everything there is to know.

What does RMS stand for?

any websites that refer to any of the above info would work. I want to learn as much as I can.

TIA

Andrew

I would say you're asking some pretty "general stuff" questions.

Component speakers is when you have separate drivers to cover each part of the audible frequency range, usually divided into three ranges: 1. tweeter for the highs, 2. midrange woofer for the midrange and 3. bass woofer for the bass. These have to be combined togheter using a crossover and it is usually much tougher to get a good sounding match since the sound source is emanating from different speakers to represent one audio signal.
    A coaxial speaker is one unit that is supposed to cover the entire audible frequency range in one speaker. These are always a combination of a normal midrange/bass woofer and a tweeter placed "coaxially" on the woofer. The good thing about them is that the sound source is just in one place and the crossover to match the woofer to the tweeter is adapted to the special combination that is the coaxial speaker. I prefer these in a car in combination with one or two 8" bass woofers to have a stronger bass foundation than the coaxial speakers can provide.

Impedance is non-linear electrical resistance in wires and in this case also speaker components. The non-linearity comes from the properties of speaker voice coils, other inductors and capacitors in passive crossovers connected directly to the speakers. Usually what is quoted is the nominal impedance, covering the frequency range of typical music material. How you wire speakers to an amplifier directly affects the load the amplifier "sees". Low impedance = High demand for current. High impedance = low demand for current.

I could tell you more, but that would take all day. Just search the web, it's out there.

/Mattias

Comment

There is an FAQ post about the difference between components and Coaxes in this section of the forum. It explains the difference pretty well.

RMS is 'root mean square' - which is essentially the average. When you're looking at amp specs, the RMS wattage is the number you should pay attention to (don't bother looking at peak values).

Sensitivity is how loud it will be at 1watt - don't even bother looking at the specs for it.

Most of your questions regarding impedence, resistance, and capacitors and such could all be answered after reading a chapter in a physics text book. Intuitively it may not make much sense, but you can get an idea of what each is from formulas and such.

If you have any questions hit me up on AIM sometime.
      Originally posted by Gruelius
      and i do not know what bugg brakes are.

Comment

Ok, cool. Answered some questions. Anyone know of a FAQ online that I can go to?

Andrew

Comment

heres some info
          FOKAI DA'MA'SHI'I ENSANE GRAPPING INT.

Comment

AWESOME. Thanks Rayz. That was what I as looking for.

Andrew

Comment

Working...
            X