Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Alpine Sub/Amp Power

Hey all,

So my co-worker has an Alpine 2-channel amp that suppositely does 180x2. He used it in his Talon for a while and he powered an Alpine Type-S. Since I want an Alpine 10" Type-R, I'm probably going to just buy the amp off of him. Suppositely, for an Alpine Type-R, you need atleast 300 watts? There wouldn't be any problem if I just had both channels to the one 10" sub, would there? So instead of 180x2, it would be 360x1, enough to power the 10" sub? I'm going to ask him around... 200 or so for the amp, I don't really know what I should ask from him because I'm not too experienced with this kind of stuff. Should I offer a higher price? Lower price? I'm not going to get the 10" Type-S off of him, that's not good enough for me :)
    '91 E30 M42 DIAMANTSCHWARZ

Need the model number. It will only be 4-ohms stable if you bridge (the term for putting 2 channels into 1) the amp, so you would have to get the dual 2-ohm Type-R and have it run in parallel. You don't need at least 300rms for the R at all, it just sounds the best at that level. Also note that although he claims the amp is 2x180, I highly doubt that is an RMS figure, if it was he would have long blown that Type-S (they suck), not to mention am amp with that kind of power is quite pricey.

But yeah, get a model number and I'll tell you what it's worth and if it's a good idea for your setup.

Comment

Yeah, I'm working with him today so he said he would bring the model number for me and everything.

Oh, and for the price that I'm going to offer him, it's in $CDN.

So I'm hoping with the purchase of the amp from him, I can just buy the sub and enclosure and then get the install.

I've been trying to find an Alpine CDA-9815 or 9813 on Ebay, but it's not working out for me... :( It's very frustrating, considering most of this year's Alpine decks are silver or not as nice as the 9815/9813 from last year. I was looking at the CDA-9833 for about $460 at ABsound with installation, but I'd much rather get the 9813 or 9815 from last year, since this year's has a lot of functions that don't really appeal to me. I pretty much just need the MP3, MediaExpander and... That's about it :) I hope I can pick one up soon so I can get my system going.

Thanks again.

Comment

Well it all honesty I've purchased 2 MRP-M350's locally in the past 3 months, and both times I paid less than $300 even with ON's 15% taxes. I'd personally rather have the peace of mind of a brand new amp with warranty for a bit more, but that's your decision. If he wouldn't take $150, I'd walk. That is again assuming the amp is even right for your setup.

Comment

Originally posted by Mystikal
          Need the model number. It will only be 4-ohms stable if you bridge (the term for putting 2 channels into 1) the amp, so you would have to get the dual 2-ohm Type-R and have it run in parallel. You don't need at least 300rms for the R at all, it just sounds the best at that level. Also note that although he claims the amp is 2x180, I highly doubt that is an RMS figure, if it was he would have long blown that Type-S (they suck), not to mention am amp with that kind of power is quite pricey.

But yeah, get a model number and I'll tell you what it's worth and if it's a good idea for your setup.
          WTF!? Get a dual 2-ohm sub and run it in parallel, and then bridge the amp to it!? Unles the amp is 1/2 ohm stable, that's a recipe for dissaster.

If you're going to get a dual 2-ohm sub and bridge an amp to it, you'll have to run the voice coils in SERIES (thus making the impedence of the sub = 4 ohms + bridged amp = 2 ohm load on amp).
          Originally posted by Gruelius
          and i do not know what bugg brakes are.

Comment

Originally posted by kencopperwheat
            WTF!? Get a dual 2-ohm sub and run it in parallel, and then bridge the amp to it!? Unles the amp is 1/2 ohm stable, that's a recipe for dissaster.

If you're going to get a dual 2-ohm sub and bridge an amp to it, you'll have to run the voice coils in SERIES (thus making the impedence of the sub = 4 ohms + bridged amp = 2 ohm load on amp).
            Brain fart. Thanks Ken.

Comment

Jeez, I don't know what just happened, so I'm assuming I should just buy my own mono-amp?

Comment

He just corrected me on the correct wiring layout for the Type-R, no biggie.

Before you make any decision, just come back to us with the model number. ;)

Comment

I personally think that Alpine is a lil overrated and overpriced. None the less, if you get a single 12" Type R and a sufficient amp to power it, you'd probably be happy.

FrustratedMunky, not to sidetrack you since you seem to have gotten a plan already, but I have a sub/amp/box sitting in my room that I can part out pretty cheap.

It's a full Dragster system, 2x10" Dragster subs, and 2 amps powering the indicidual subs. The amps are 210watts x 1 (4 ohm bridged). If you aren't familiar with Dragster, they are an Italian brand, that seem to be unpopular in NorthAmerica, but are great quality products. I have receits for over i think around $1200.

anyways, i think there's a lill vancouver meet on Saturday, so if you are insterested, I can show you the setup and hook it up and what not.
                  ~ Go Canucks Go! ~

Comment

Yeah, I heard about the meet actually. My birthday is on saturday, so I most likely won't be able to make it, heh.

Thanks for the offer on the system, I would feel more comfortable with it if I were familiar with the brand though :) But I will let you know, I don't even have my damn deck installed yet. I think I might get the Alpine CDA-9833 because this Ebay shit isn't working out for me.

My coworker didn't bring me the model number... that ass, but anyways, I'll repost when I do have the model number.

Comment

Happy early b-day. :D

9833? Cool. I think I'm just gonna spring for the 9835, maybe wait until year end. 8) The display on the thing is insane.

Comment

Heh, thanks man.

Heh yeah, I was deciding between the two. I'll have to see when I go down to ABsound on the weekend. I hope it won't be too expensive.

Comment

It's listed at $650 in store here. Good luck!

Comment

What??? No way, you guys are gettin' ripped off. Here, it's something like $470 installed.

Comment

Considering the damn thing is $379-479USD on E-bay with no warranty plus shipping and duty to us, I highly doubt that it is $470CAD installed there. If you translated to USD then it starts to make more sense, but remember I'm over in T.O.

Comment

Working...
                              X