Tips on tuning a sound system?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tips on tuning a sound system?

I finally got my sound system from luke installed. It's a monoblock amp, a 4 channel amp, an exile 12'' sub, exile mids and tweeters with exile crossovers. The sound is great but I'm having a hard time getting it universally tuned. It will sound great on one song but then have too little treble on another or some other issue. On the tweeters I have high pass all the way up - mid and bass all the way down. Bass pass is all the way up on the sub. What's a good way to get this thing setup right?

On a side note, the monoblock amp gets PIPING hot after running it for a while. Is this normal? If not, how may I reduce it?
    "We praise or find fault, depending on which of the two provides more opportunity for our powers of judgement to shine."

Patrick, I want to see what others have to say on this subject.

Your bass amp should not be getting very hot, even in Texas.

Closing SOON!
    "LAST CHANCE FOR G.A.S." DEAL IS ON NOW

Luke AT germanaudiospecialties DOT com or text 425-761-6450, or for quickest answers, call me at the shop 360-669-0398

Thanks for 10 years of fun!

Comment

When you are talking about the high pass and low pass are you talking about the cross over settings on your Head unit?

I had the exile x-tec components and I just liked them how the cross overs had them at. I don't know at what frequencies they are cut off at so I can't further comment on that.

Pretty much tuning a system consists of, in no certain order:

1)Location
      2)Playing around with Frequencies
      3) playing with the eq.
      4) TA - (time alignment).

I would say that if you are set on the location is to just play around with your EQ and certain cross over frequencies. Just as a reminder that the eq doesn't really need to be played around with too much. +1 here and -3 there at most. Just trial and error certain frequencies you need to adjust and see if it gets better or not.

I had my xtec mids set playing down 60hz at an 18db slope on the unit and I can't remember if there is/I switched the tweeter attenuation on the crossover to low.

Perhaps my post didn't help at all but good luck!

Comment

Originally posted by StereoInstaller1 View Post
        Patrick, I want to see what others have to say on this subject.

Your bass amp should not be getting very hot, even in Texas.

Lume - I'm going to call you later and we can go over my settings. When I say hot I mean it nearly burns me. What could be wrong?
        "We praise or find fault, depending on which of the two provides more opportunity for our powers of judgement to shine."

Comment

Where are the gains on both amps?

Where are the amps mounted? Vertical? Upside Down?

MP3 Disc for a source or store bought CDs?

Let's start by answering those questions and after that we get the tuning worked out :)

Comment

Originally posted by dinanm3atl View Post
            Where are the gains on both amps?

Where are the amps mounted? Vertical? Upside Down?

MP3 Disc for a source or store bought CDs?

Let's start by answering those questions and after that we get the tuning worked out :)
            I'll post some pics later. The amps are mounted vertically on the sub box in my trunk. The source is an ipod via usb port on the faceplate. I don't know what gains are. I'm a stereo newb^eleventy billion.

If it helps, the 4 channel is as cool as a cucumber.

Comment

Originally posted by Dozyproductions View Post
              When you are talking about the high pass and low pass are you talking about the cross over settings on your Head unit?

I had the exile x-tec components and I just liked them how the cross overs had them at. I don't know at what frequencies they are cut off at so I can't further comment on that.

Pretty much tuning a system consists of, in no certain order:

1)Location
              2)Playing around with Frequencies
              3) playing with the eq.
              4) TA - (time alignment).

I would say that if you are set on the location is to just play around with your EQ and certain cross over frequencies. Just as a reminder that the eq doesn't really need to be played around with too much. +1 here and -3 there at most. Just trial and error certain frequencies you need to adjust and see if it gets better or not.

I had my xtec mids set playing down 60hz at an 18db slope on the unit and I can't remember if there is/I switched the tweeter attenuation on the crossover to low.

Perhaps my post didn't help at all but good luck!
              I don't comprehend any of this.

Comment

Originally posted by Turf1600 View Post
                I'll post some pics later. The amps are mounted vertically on the sub box in my trunk. The source is an ipod via usb port on the faceplate. I don't know what gains are. I'm a stereo newb^eleventy billion.

If it helps, the 4 channel is as cool as a cucumber.
                Can you take a picture of the settings on the amps?

Will help out a lot :)

Also do this for me.

On the subwoofer amplifier find the "gain" control and put a screw driver in and turn it all the way till it stops counter clockwise or "left".

Then turn it about 1/4 turn. Then drive around and see if it continues to get scalding hot. Report back.

Comment

I've discovered that it sounds like shit due to the speaker wire I used on the driver's side. New speaker wire will go in soon. The sub is still hot though - not as bad since I turned the bass boost off - but its hot hot hot.

Comment

An Ipod is a terrible source to try and tune in a system. Give this a read http://www.cdtaudio.com/amp_gain_set_08.htm
                    what you did to this car is like getting a supermodel naked and willing to do anything you please. now here you are faced with ths once in a lifetime opportunity and then you squander it by making her fuck you in the butt with a 24" strap on. you are a sad, silly little boy.

Comment

Originally posted by Turf1600 View Post
                      I've discovered that it sounds like shit due to the speaker wire I used on the driver's side. New speaker wire will go in soon. The sub is still hot though - not as bad since I turned the bass boost off - but its hot hot hot.
                      Ok I think we have found the problem.

Turn off the stupid bass boost and whatever other equalizer crap you have running from the head unit or at the subwoofer amp.

Did you check on the gain?

Comment

There's no gain knob that I can see. Now, my HU has sub control. I can control the sub from -5 fo 15 - and bass from -8 to 8. Lemme go look and see what knobs I have and I'll brb.

Comment

There is not a gain knob on the amplifier?

It might not be a "knob". It might be sunken into the amplifier.

Comment

Okay - Here's what it looks like -

Bass boost: 0db - 18db
                            Level: .3v - 8v
                            Low Pass: 50-25 hz
                            Subsonic Filter: 20-35 hz

Then theres a switch from which I choose the following

"Config"
                            in - BY Out: BY
                            in: LP Out: LP
                            in: LP Out: BY

Comment

That's the amp

That's the 4 channel

Those are the speakers

Comment

Working...
                              X