Amp mountage

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Amp mountage

hey...tomorrow im looking at ripping up my carpet, taking all the sound deadening out and positioning my amp underneath my passenger seat...before i do this has anyone done it before? keen to know your results and thoughts on improvements....the main reason for this is my boot is stripped to create less rear camber so i have nothing to bolt it onto...as well as security (sorta).... thoughts appreciated
    JUNGL3

1990 "333i" Sport

Heat dissipation won't be great, but you can get away with it if the amp doesn't interfere with the mechanism of the passenger seat.
    Originally posted by Gruelius
    and i do not know what bugg brakes are.

Comment

It should work fine. Is this amp for a subwoofer or for speakers.
      sigpic

Comment

My amp is mounted in the trunk, even with stuff stripped from the back you could mount it back there, espicially if it is for a sub. I wouldnt trust mounting my amp to that cardboard shit or carpet anyways.

I can get pics later if you want
        Brandon

Comment

please do get pics, i'd like to see
          BEERTECH

Comment

Here's mine mounted in the trunk, which I recommend you do.
            I used a piece of plywood and painted it black, then I screwed everything onto the board and then screwed the board onto the back of the trunk with some self-tapping metal screws. It's been working great for 3+ years.

Comment

Originally posted by kencopperwheat
              Here's mine mounted in the trunk, which I recommend you do.
              I used a piece of plywood and painted it black, then I screwed everything onto the board and then screwed the board onto the back of the trunk with some self-tapping metal screws. It's been working great for 3+ years.
              Mine is simular in the way it is mounted. I mounted the amp to a couple metal rails, and the rails are mounted to the back of the trunk. I kept the cardboard stuff in though, so I just had to punch holes though it. When looking at mine, it looks like its mounted on the cardboard, its pretty clean.

Ill have to get pics today after work. My amp is smaller than those pictured in Ken's pic though, so not sure exactly how larger amps would work the way I did it. My amp just powers one 10" sub.
              Brandon

Comment

its running two front speakers and a single sub....not a flash setup, it came with my car so is far from perfect but it works....im reluctant to add more wood to the back...trying to center the weight....not sure if it will make a diff but hey...no harm in trying :D....may end up attaching it to the carpet itself...just need to see what is under there....will get pics today as im doing my tension bush too...hmm snappy shifting at last!
                JUNGL3

1990 "333i" Sport

Comment

I've seen people stick velcro strips to the bottom of amps and stick them to the carpet. It seemed to hold very well in my friends truck. He had a PPI A600 (heavy) and it didn't move at all.

Comment

I've seen people stick velcro strips to the bottom of amps and stick them to the carpet. It seemed to hold very well in my friends truck. He had a PPI A600 (heavy) and it didn't move at all.
                    Personally, I'd worry about the amp getting warm and the adhesive slipping... that could get annoying. Whatever works though I guess.
                    Brandon

Comment

hmmmm velcro....i like that idea!
                      JUNGL3

1990 "333i" Sport

Comment

My amp was mounted like Kens, but then I changed it up.

That mounting works fine though.

Sold it.

Comment

hmm i've got a PPI 600.4 and i was trying to think of how i'll mount it, because its like a freakin surfboard as far as size.

i think i'll try this.
                          Who doesn't love a little BBQ?
                          Griot's Garage at a Deep Discount

Comment

something to think about

just so you know. the two biggest things that kill an amp are overheating from lack of sufficient air, and moisture.

there might be enough air, but a lot of people seem to have leaks on the passenger's side.

Comment

this is what mine looks like mounted:

There are 2 metal strips/brackets behind the cardboard stuff running horizontally that are mounted to the back of the trunk. Then the amp is mounted to the strips/brackets, which is all hidden by my UGLY cardboard. Anyways here are a couple quick shots.

^^ my lovely assortment of ugly cables... I didnt use all the same ones so it kinda looks funny. But it sounds great 8)

Brandon

Comment

Working...
                              X