OK - I'm thoroughly confused.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by E30 Cabrio View Post
    I finally ordered my new HU, a Clarion DXZ785USB (BTW, $150.00 at frys.com)

I have the "Premium" sound and from past reading, I would have to bypass the factory amp and the factory fader.

Can I use the factory wiring, or do I need to replace that as well.

And what about the tweeters? What do I do with those?

I'm a complete newb so if I act retarded, it's because I am when it comes to this stuff.

I found a post on bypassing the factory amp, and I can do that, but am kind of lost as how to proceed from there.

Thanks.
    Ok...

Get crossovers to power the Mids and tweeters front and back, so you need 4 in total. And run new wire to all the speakers..

It sounds like a pain in the ass, but trust me, you don't want to try and bypass the amp because it's a fucking pain in the ass.
    1985 325e 2.8 Turbo VEMS

Comment

I've already started in on bypassing the factory amp, so there's no going back now.

BTW, I believe the HU has built-in crossovers. Is that good or bad?

Like I said, I don't know a damn thing about this subject, so I'm trying to learn.

Edit:

Features from the HU:

Audio features:
      # Digital Z-enhancer (3-band parametric EQ with three adjustable tone settings)
      # Magna Bass EX bass boost
      # digital time-alignment
      # 24-bit digital-to-analog converter (DAC)
      # high-and low-pass filters

If I remember right, high and low pass filters are the same as crossovers?
      sigpic
      1988 5 spd.Cabrio/Lachs Silber/Black Leather/123k/Dealer Serviced & Maintained by both PO's
      Clarion DXZ785USB HU, BBS Wheels, Leather e-brake handle & e-brake boot, Mtech 1 Wheel, Maplight Mirror, Performance chip, Rear Headrests.
      Previous E30: 1986 5 spd. 325es/Delphin Gray/Black Leather/191k

Comment

Ugly HU, but that's a matter of my taste, i put in Panasonic just for the red back lighting that matched interior lights. But to each it's own.

Replace all the wires with 16g wires. The way i did it was, pull out your seats and door seals. Remove center console. Lift up carpet run cables from the HU under carpet toward parking brake, from the split the wires with already existing harrnes to each speaker through old clips and brackets. Run rear wires all the way to rear speaker under rear seat. Took me more time to figure this out, then to actually do it. Probably would take only 1-2 hours to get the whole car rewired.

Good Luck.

Comment

Originally posted by Aptyp View Post
          Ugly HU, but that's a matter of my taste, i put in Panasonic just for the red back lighting that matched interior lights. But to each it's own.

Replace all the wires with 16g wires. The way i did it was, pull out your seats and door seals. Remove center console. Lift up carpet run cables from the HU under carpet toward parking brake, from the split the wires with already existing harrnes to each speaker through old clips and brackets. Run rear wires all the way to rear speaker under rear seat. Took me more time to figure this out, then to actually do it. Probably would take only 1-2 hours to get the whole car rewired.

Good Luck.
          Thanks.

BTW, I think you'll change your mind once the HU is installed and the lights match the BMW Amber, but to each his own...
          sigpic
          1988 5 spd.Cabrio/Lachs Silber/Black Leather/123k/Dealer Serviced & Maintained by both PO's
          Clarion DXZ785USB HU, BBS Wheels, Leather e-brake handle & e-brake boot, Mtech 1 Wheel, Maplight Mirror, Performance chip, Rear Headrests.
          Previous E30: 1986 5 spd. 325es/Delphin Gray/Black Leather/191k

Comment

Give this a try:

Yellow - Red/Green
            Red - Violet/Gray
            Black - Brown
            Blue - White
            Orange - Gray/Red

Following wires found at the fader:

Green - Yellow/Red
            Green/Black - Yellow/Black
            Purple - Blue/Red
            Purple/Black - Blue/Black

Now, look in your trunk for the amplifier. Find these wires in the connector and connect them as shown:

(Note: There are two Black/Brown wires listed. They do not connect together. Connect them temporarily to test. If you have no sound out of your rear speakers, swap them and make your connection permanent.)

Black/Brown - Yellow/Red
            Black/Violet - Yellow/Black
            Black/White - Blue/Red
            Black/Brown - Blue/Black

Finally, the front speakers. You need to run new wires to the front speakers from the headunit. (easier than rewiring the whole car, remember that) I will give you the wire colors at the back of the speakers to cut and connect to your new wire from the headunit.

Left:
            White - Gray/Red
            White/Black - Gray/Violet

Right:
            Gray - Gray/White
            Gray/Black - Gray/Brown
            -Dave
            2003 Lincoln Towncar | 1992 BMW 325iC | 1968 Cadillac Deville

Need some help figuring out the ETM?

Comment

Working...
            X