Factory Alarm Aid...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Factory Alarm Aid...

Did a google search, searched the forum but couldn't find the answers to these questions:

- Where does it mount in an E30?
    - If not prewired what do I need?
    - How can you program the fobs?
    - Where can I go to find some resources on this?

I have a brain, siren, the dash light, antenna, and have found a couple fobs...

Thanks!
    Touring Build + Touring Complete (sold) - As featured in August 2010 Bimmer Magazine :)
    iX Build + iX Complete (sold)
    "Mtech 1" Build (work in progress)

I have worked on bazillions of E30s. E30s NEVER came prewired for an alarm. That little nicety started on the E36.

I have heard of a true "Factory Alarm", but have never seen one.

I have seen the pile of shit Alpine that BMW re-labeled as a BMW part, then sold at the dealership for an ungodly price, then had some hack of a (junior) tech install, leaving half of the features unused and most of the wires strewn around looking like they were hungover and free bloody marys were coming just as soon as the car was gone...

If you have that particular pile of shit, I can help you get it installed, but you can buy so much better of an alarm from anywhere for $50.

First step is you have some decent tools for the job, a power supply that will make +12VDC and find yourself a wiring diagram for the alarm.

IIRC, to program the transmitters, take them apart, then take the brain apart. With power applied to the brain, slip the tiny little chip that is inside the transmitter into the slot provided in the brain, then press the little button labeled "RESET" for about 3 seconds...now put the chip back in the transmitter.

Keep in mind I have smoked literally pounds of weed between when I was forced to install those shitboxes and now, and I haven't smoked a shred since 1997...so the memory just might be a bit flaky around the edges.

Sorry if I seem really "down" on that alarm. I truly despise them, I honestly believe they are about #3 in the worst car alarm ever made by a major manufacturer. Kenwood is 100X worse (as in someone should hari-kari) but even the stubborn idiots at Alpine realized they have no fucking clue about how to make an alarm and quit about 1998 or so, thank fucking god!

/rant

Luke

Closing SOON!
    "LAST CHANCE FOR G.A.S." DEAL IS ON NOW

Luke AT germanaudiospecialties DOT com or text 425-761-6450, or for quickest answers, call me at the shop 360-669-0398

Thanks for 10 years of fun!

Comment

thanks luke... I appreciate it! I'll look to see if Alpine has their name all over it... I didn't pay much and I'm not set on putting it in, just thought it would be a nice novelty... If it is that big a pain I'll likely resell or toss it...

Thanks again.
      Touring Build + Touring Complete (sold) - As featured in August 2010 Bimmer Magazine :)
      iX Build + iX Complete (sold)
      "Mtech 1" Build (work in progress)

Comment

Originally posted by StereoInstaller1 View Post

I have seen the pile of shit Alpine that BMW re-labeled as a BMW part, then sold at the dealership for an ungodly price, then had some hack of a (junior) tech install, leaving half of the features unused and most of the wires strewn around looking like they were hungover and free bloody marys were coming just as soon as the car was gone...
        bump. I just removed one from an ix and that's an accurate description of what the wiring looked like.

PM me if you want it...you know you want it after reading that. No fob tho :(
        sigpic

Comment

Working...
        X