Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

My Favorite $30 Mod so far...(keyless entry)

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If your car is in gear it will start it in gear.

Comment

Originally posted by Danny View Post
      If your car is in gear it will start it in gear.
      If it doesn't go through something first.
      1985 325e 2.8 Turbo VEMS

Comment

yeah that's what I was curious of, gues it was kinda of a stupid question
        Re-Build:
        http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/show...00#post2471300

http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/show...24#post2157024

Comment

Uhm, you guys would probably find that these units last longer if you install them correctly under the dash with quality connections...just a thought.
          92 325ic 5 speed, hard top, windscreen, 133k, for sale
          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by lylefk View Post
            Uhm, you guys would probably find that these units last longer if you install them correctly under the dash with quality connections...just a thought.
            I assume you noticed me telling them that for a few years now..."T taps" are shit too...don't forget that!

Closing SOON!
            "LAST CHANCE FOR G.A.S." DEAL IS ON NOW

Luke AT germanaudiospecialties DOT com or text 425-761-6450, or for quickest answers, call me at the shop 360-669-0398

Thanks for 10 years of fun!

Comment

I got that k9 kit, but have yet to install it. Been sitting in the box for 4 months now. Anyone have a DIY instruction for installing a alarm in a e30?

Comment

Originally posted by StereoInstaller1 View Post
                I assume you noticed me telling them that for a few years now..."T taps" are shit too...don't forget that!
                +1. Solder is our friend.

1991 325ic and 1991 318is

Comment

Originally posted by StereoInstaller1 View Post
                  Since you are against solder, how do you go about doing it? 2 ends into one side of a butt connecter, then one end doubled over on the other side? I've still had bad experience with that. I think in another thread you said it could be shitty crimpers. Still not really sure why you're against soldering, either.
                  '07 Female Miniature Dachshund, Long Hair Edition, Red.
                  Mods so far: Reproduction delete kit, biweekly nail shortening.
                  (Pics hopefully coming soon)

Comment

I didn't, actually. I read the first half a dozen pages and then kind of skipped around...I'm not surprised you've been telling them though. I was pretty surprised to hear how this was being installed.

In addition to bad crimpers, it could be a bad crimp location as well...you want your crimp to push down on the side of the butt connector where the indent is in the connector itself. Sorry no pics, does that make sense?
                    92 325ic 5 speed, hard top, windscreen, 133k, for sale
                    sigpic

Comment

Crimp connectors w/ shrinkwrap is the best option. Solder will deteriorate the wires after a while.

I crimped both facotry wires into one end of the butt-connector and then the keyless unit wire into the other.
                      Originally posted by Gruelius
                      and i do not know what bugg brakes are.

Comment

Wanted!

Nio är livets tal.

Comment

I personally have had good luck with solder and shrink tubing. The problem you can run into with solder is in a high vibration environment. The solder makes the end of the wire solid and that can cause cracks in the wire strands. This is why aircraft only use crimp connections. I just don't think the vibration frequency in a STREET car is high enough for a good solder and shrink tubing deal go bad.

John
                          The Revolution will not be televised.

Comment

ALL auto manufacturers have stopped using solder. The reason is simple...cut apart a 3 or 4 year old solder connection and you will have corrosion. Not in the joint itself, but an inch up either side of the wire...the flux (rosin core or not) will wick up the wire and corrode.

Inside the car, heatshrink is nifty and all, but just normal butt connectors work great, unless you use the wrong size or shitty crimpers.

Closing SOON!
                            "LAST CHANCE FOR G.A.S." DEAL IS ON NOW

Luke AT germanaudiospecialties DOT com or text 425-761-6450, or for quickest answers, call me at the shop 360-669-0398

Thanks for 10 years of fun!

Comment

i just tried to install a Omega REC 11 keyless entry on my 91 318i. I followed the DIY write up on page 1, but the problem is when I connect all the plugs into the unit, it locks all the doors itself and can't unlock by using the remote.(can hear the click sound from the unit)

Green to Green/Black
                              Blue to Green/Purple
                              Red to Antenna Red also tried to connect to the Battery
                              Black to Antenna Ground also tried to connect to the Brown

That's what I did for the wires
                              Can someone tell me what I did wrong??

Thanks for the help

Comment

I will be installing one of these Code Alarm units this weekend, will let everyone know how it goes (won't be installing siren or light flash relay, just the keyless entry).

http://mobile.audiovox.com/audiovox/...ODUCT_ID=CA100

Comment

Working...
                                X