Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

My Favorite $30 Mod so far...(keyless entry)

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Just finished installing my REC 43T. Super easy! I ended up splicing into the harness for the OEM amplifier (previous owner removed it) for power.

Comment

Originally posted by aa34s View Post
      i just tried to install a Omega REC 11 keyless entry on my 91 318i. I followed the DIY write up on page 1, but the problem is when I connect all the plugs into the unit, it locks all the doors itself and can't unlock by using the remote.(can hear the click sound from the unit)

Green to Green/Black
      Blue to Green/Purple
      Red to Antenna Red also tried to connect to the Battery
      Black to Antenna Ground also tried to connect to the Brown

That's what I did for the wires
      Can someone tell me what I did wrong??

Thanks for the help
      You connected it in the trunk. Do it correctly and connect it next to the relay under the drivers kick panel. There is no stealing power from ridiculous sources and it has a few inches to make the relay work not 20 feet.
      1989 Cirrus Blau coupe Racing Dynamics wheels and a Volvo Spoiler.

Comment

Originally posted by StereoInstaller1 View Post
        ALL auto manufacturers have stopped using solder. The reason is simple...cut apart a 3 or 4 year old solder connection and you will have corrosion.
        I've been doing some reading recently.

I'd say they stopped because crimps can be done by a machine - but it is true about corrosion. If you still want to solder clean up as much extra flux with alcohol and a rag - or use a no-clean flux. Crimps are every bit as good.

But, if you really want to get geeky, you can read some technical documents on "CRIMPING, INTERCONNECTING CABLES, HARNESSES, AND WIRING" on Nasa's site. They (literally) wrote the book on it.

Originally posted by Matt-B
        hey does anyone know anyone who gets upset and makes electronics?

Comment

Originally posted by DLite View Post
          I will be installing one of these Code Alarm units this weekend, will let everyone know how it goes (won't be installing siren or light flash relay, just the keyless entry).

http://mobile.audiovox.com/audiovox/...ODUCT_ID=CA100

Alright...well I got this install finished up yesterday...works great so far. I tied the unit into the trunk area wiring and hid the control box behind the antenna motor. For power, I ran fused line direct from the battery.

Definitely worth the effort to not have to screw with the fidgety door locks anymore!

BTW, I soldered my connections! LoL

Comment

Originally posted by george graves View Post
            I've been doing some reading recently.

I'd say they stopped because crimps can be done by a machine - but it is true about corrosion. If you still want to solder clean up as much extra flux with alcohol and a rag - or use a no-clean flux. Crimps are every bit as good.

But, if you really want to get geeky, you can read some technical documents on "CRIMPING, INTERCONNECTING CABLES, HARNESSES, AND WIRING" on Nasa's site. They (literally) wrote the book on it.

http://snebulos.mit.edu/projects/ref...STD-8739-4.pdf
            You still cannot get to the flux inside the insulation.

Closing SOON!
            "LAST CHANCE FOR G.A.S." DEAL IS ON NOW

Luke AT germanaudiospecialties DOT com or text 425-761-6450, or for quickest answers, call me at the shop 360-669-0398

Thanks for 10 years of fun!

Comment

I just prefer using Posi-Lock connectors for dealing with stranded wiring because when I screw up (or need to replace it), it doesn't mean I have to shorten the harness to reconnect up the splice. Also makes it look very clean.

Funny how my car on the outside looks shabby but I'm more concerned about the stuff you *can't* see. :D

Comment

Bump! Original link no worky!

Looking to pick up a cheap, "plug and play" set from ebay that will work with central locking, etc.

I'll look through the install guide, after I get direction on which kit to purchase for my '91 318is :)

Thanks!

Comment

I'll sell you mine for cheap. Never installed it on my car. Bought it then the car got totalled.
                  Estoril E36 M3/4/5 | Toledo E53 X5 3.0 | LeMans E90 335D M-Sport

Comment

Originally posted by garye30 View Post
                    i'll sell you mine for cheap. Never installed it on my car. Bought it then the car got totalled.
                    ygpm...
                    "A good memory for quotes combined with a poor memory for attribution can lead to a false sense of originality."
                    -----------------------------------------
                    91 318is Turbo Sold
                    87 325 Daily driver Sold
                    06 4.8is X5
                    06 Mtec X3
                    05 4.4i X5 Sold
                    92 325ic Sold & Re-purchased
                    90 325i Sold
                    97 328is Sold
                    01 323ci Sold
                    92 325i Sold
                    83 528e Totaled
                    98 328i Sold
                    93 325i Sold

Comment

Originally posted by GaryE30 View Post
                      I'll sell you mine for cheap. Never installed it on my car. Bought it then the car got totalled.
                      Interested. I sent you a PM :)

Comment

Need help

I recently read this and bought the omega k9 sombra RFID alarm/keyless system and was wondering if this article is suitable or if not where can I find some help/ assistance in installing this thank you
                        sigpic

Comment

Have similar on my E30. Love it!

Comment

Originally posted by dinanm3atl View Post
                            Have similar on my E30. Love it!

Does it wire up pretty much the same way?
                            sigpic

Comment

This thing lasted a month. Now it open the lock but won't close them. Cheap stuff IMO.

Comment

I just finished installing one on my 318is. Love those keyless locks.

1991 325ic and 1991 318is

Comment

Working...
                                X