Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Subwoofer V2: Tutorial and FS, Keep your rear speakers!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Subwoofer V2: Tutorial and FS, Keep your rear speakers!

OK, guys, I wanna shut off the Visa machine by the first, so jump NOW, since I don't take anything but Visa/MC or cash.

I have 4 boxes sold, 2 are spoken for. Guys, you know who you are, I will ship MONDAY 9/29, so CALL ME TODAY WITH VISA IN HAND!

541-543-4841

Things you will need are:

Big burly drill with 3 1/2" hole saw (expect this to be hard to find, BTW)
    Screw gun with Phillips bit
    Measuring tape, small sharpie
    4 3"ish screws, plus whatever needed to mount your woofer and such.
    1/4 sheet of 1/4" tempered hardboard
    1 can of spray glue
    Scissors, miscellaneous tools, stuff, minimum of 3 tacos, likely 1 liter of Mountain Dew, beer, etc. General project tools, basically.

So here we go:

1 1/2" screw gun with hole saw attached to installer:

If I can get my fat old ass in this trunk, so can you. Get comfy!

Now, measure carefully inside the trunk:

From the metal lip under the rear deck, measure 2 1/2" towards the rear of the car and 2" in from the edge of the brace (look where the metal lip attaches to the underside of the rear deck)

Originally, I planned 3" back, but I moved it forward just a 1/2", so the port is easier to clear the back of the box

I used the drill bit to start the holes, make sure you get all the way through the rear deck. After you have the holes done, cut the big 3 1/2" holes...DO NOT GET METAL IN YOUR EYES!!!

First hole done:

Now do it again...be FUCKING precise here, guys!

IF it does not look like this, you are fucked.

So now, install the box.

Do the bottom screws first then the top. Basically, 4 screws around the ski boot hole holds this bastard very precisely in place. Now wrap the port tubes in duct tape so they fit TIGHTLY in place, inside the ports in the box.

When done, it should look like this:

Get your amp installed, then you can have flowers:

Closing SOON!
    "LAST CHANCE FOR G.A.S." DEAL IS ON NOW

Luke AT germanaudiospecialties DOT com or text 425-761-6450, or for quickest answers, call me at the shop 360-669-0398

Thanks for 10 years of fun!

???? i dont get it Luke, you made another box that lets you keep the rear speakers!!!!
    IG: @Baye30

FRONT VALENCE IS ZENDER!!! STOP FILLING MY PM BOX PPL!!!

Comment

Originally posted by golde30 View Post
      ???? i dont get it Luke, you made another box that lets you keep the rear speakers!!!!
      Yuppers, did James' car like this, proved rear speakers are OK in an E30, as long as you have a 4 channel amp running them so you can turn the gains all the way down!

Closing SOON!

Luke AT germanaudiospecialties DOT com or text 425-761-6450, or for quickest answers, call me at the shop 360-669-0398

Comment

dude, i have a 4-channel with components all around that i didnt wanna delete, but i have your v1 box. weak sauce. havent installed it yet though, maybe i can sell it.
        IG: @Baye30

FRONT VALENCE IS ZENDER!!! STOP FILLING MY PM BOX PPL!!!

Comment

WHAT!!!!!! You took my back speakers and didn't have to? I'm hurt.:) I like how mine sounds screw back speakers!

Comment

(guys, this box is for those who care about their rear seat passengers)

Closing SOON!

Comment

Ok, now I'm completely confused. Why would I port the trunk when it's already got a ski hole that I can fire a sub through?

E30 24V 6MT SOLD :( - look for it in sunny Miami :)

Comment

for fun. but porting it up through the rear deck would give you more sound in the cab. instead of having the ports firing in your trunk (where youre not) they fire into the cab. and by the looks of the picture it looks like the sub also fires through your ski hole. i would also assume that it also makes the trunk rattle less as it is getting more of the speaker output into the cab.

Originally posted by StereoInstaller1 View Post
                (guys, this box is for those who care about their rear seat passengers)
                if they cared about their passengers why would they have brain rattling bass exiting right behind their heads?
                Originally posted by Ferdinand
                I carry a cheap pressure gauge in my glovebox with which to manually check my tire pressures, but I keep forgetting that in the USA glovebox space is sacred as it is reserved exclusively for the purpose of storing handguns.

DIVING BOARD DIVISION DIVISION IDIOT

Comment

100% of the bass is completely sealed into the cabin on these boxes.

Those oh-so-precise ports fit into the ports on the box.

Sealed boxes are a poor choice in E30s, due to the massive cancellation of the bass, especially if the woofers output is not sealed into the cabin. You can make lots of big boom, but it will rattle like hell and still not make much sound in the car.

So yeah, science and technology and craftsmanship and all that shit.

Bettter and cheaper than your local shop would ever think of.

Closing SOON!

Comment

Bumping these back up, got two more for sale, and a V1.

$150 + shipping is such a deal, believe it.

Check your local shops, this is half price and better quality.

Luke

Closing SOON!

Comment

Can't wait for mine.

S54B32 swap in progress. Status: Getting There

Comment

Boxing and shipping today, might take as much as 10 days to get to you.

Closing SOON!

Comment

wait so you can put a seat in front of the ski hole and it will be all hunky dory? of do i have to put a whole in the rear seat or soemthing? what is included and what is not(i know stereo equipment isnt but does the box include all parts i need to install it)? 12" sub or 10?
                          e30sport.net
                          '15 Porsche GT3 - 7-speed PDK - Daily Driver
                          '86 325es - s54b32tu - 6-speed - Mtech 1
                          '89 325is - m20b25 - 5-speed - Individual

Comment

Originally posted by BeirBrennerE30 View Post
                            wait so you can put a seat in front of the ski hole and it will be all hunky dory? of do i have to put a whole in the rear seat or soemthing? what is included and what is not(i know stereo equipment isnt but does the box include all parts i need to install it)? 12" sub or 10?
                            Oh yeah, you can use an unmodified seat, or cut 3" or so of the foam out of the ski boot area, or an M3 seat, or an armrest seat...all will give satisfactory results.

My wife has 1/2 of a small Alpine amp running her woofer. She has plenty of boom and great clarity.

Oh yeah, single 12". Seems to be the best mix of size, space, weight, sound quality and cost.

Even a WalMart sony rocks in this box. Feed it more than 100 watts RMS and you have great bass, peroid.

Closing SOON!

Comment

Originally posted by StereoInstaller1 View Post
                              Oh yeah, you can use an unmodified seat, or cut 3" or so of the foam out of the ski boot area, or an M3 seat, or an armrest seat...all will give satisfactory results.

My wife has 1/2 of a small Alpine amp running her woofer. She has plenty of boom and great clarity.

Oh yeah, single 12". Seems to be the best mix of size, space, weight, sound quality and cost.

Even a WalMart sony rocks in this box. Feed it more than 100 watts RMS and you have great bass, peroid.
                              Yeah I got a dirt cheap 12" Pioneer (TS-W306c) in a box loosely based on one of Luke's boxes. This is powered by cheap 2x150rms amp bridged. Heaps of kick even with a non armrest rear seat and sounds really tight. Best part is that it doesn't rattle the trunk lid.
                              This is a great design that Luke has going here - pity he is on the other side of the world - I would have bought one of his instead of having to do the hard work myself.
                              Last edited by gjuu; 09-30-2008, 01:42 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X