Running wire into door

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Running wire into door

How does one accomplish this? That wire harness covered with the rubber boot seems to be the only option. Is there a space inside the harness to run extra wire?
    -Brandon
    '86 325es S50
    '12 VW GTI Autobahn DSG
    '03 540i M-Sport (sold)
    '08 Jeep SRT-8 (sold)

For sale:
    S50 TMS chip for Schricks

Disconnect the rubber boot from the chassis and door. Then take a bic pen and take everything out of it (essentially make it a hollow plastic tube). Next, take the tube abd put it through the boot. Then feed the wires through the tube.
    Originally posted by Gruelius
    and i do not know what bugg brakes are.

Comment

Originally posted by kencopperwheat
      Disconnect the rubber boot from the chassis and door. Then take a bic pen and take everything out of it (essentially make it a hollow plastic tube). Next, take the tube abd put it through the boot. Then feed the wires through the tube.
      Hmm, clever idea, I'll have to try that out if the wire I'm using is small enough. I'm gonna be running 150W per side, so will probably use about 14 gauge. Is there a hole in the middle of the plastic wire harness to accomodate extra wire run or something?
      -Brandon
      '86 325es S50
      '12 VW GTI Autobahn DSG
      '03 540i M-Sport (sold)
      '08 Jeep SRT-8 (sold)

For sale:

Comment

There are just wires going through there... just cram another one in.
        Originally posted by Gruelius
        and i do not know what bugg brakes are.

Comment

I had a flexible metal rod, like one from a bendable screwdriver, and I just taped my 16-gauge to it TIGHTLY when I ran new wire to the tweeter pods through that rubber boot.

"BMW Style 32 Poster-Child"
          HTTP://WWW.CLAVINZERO.COM/e30-5-lug
          **(My Guide to E36 M3/Z3 1.9L 5-lug Swap)

Comment

just shove it through

http://www.westwerksauto.com

Comment

Apparently getting it through there isn't going to be as difficult as I thought. I'm going to run all of the wires and enlarge the holes in the door boxes for the speakers this weekend. Adire Audio were slow as hell about getting my speakers shipped, so they're not going to be here until Monday now, but running all of the wires and doing prep is the hard part. It should sound pretty nice, especially with the power I'm putting to them. I'll take plenty of pictures.
              -Brandon
              '86 325es S50
              '12 VW GTI Autobahn DSG
              '03 540i M-Sport (sold)
              '08 Jeep SRT-8 (sold)

For sale:

Comment

Originally posted by Beej '86 325es
                Apparently getting it through there isn't going to be as difficult as I thought. I'm going to run all of the wires and enlarge the holes in the door boxes for the speakers this weekend. Adire Audio were slow as hell about getting my speakers shipped, so they're not going to be here until Monday now, but running all of the wires and doing prep is the hard part. It should sound pretty nice, especially with the power I'm putting to them. I'll take plenty of pictures.
                Kodas in the doors?

Comment

Originally posted by 808BMW
                  Kodas in the doors?
                  Yeah, I bought black door panels from an M3 like 4 years back and they had some custom boxes built in to replace the map pockets, but still have a small area to store things. I think they were designed for 5 1/4" speakers, so I have to enlarge the hole for the 6 1/2"s.
                  -Brandon
                  '86 325es S50
                  '12 VW GTI Autobahn DSG
                  '03 540i M-Sport (sold)
                  '08 Jeep SRT-8 (sold)

For sale:

Comment

Originally posted by kencopperwheat
                    Hmm, clever idea, I'll have to try that out if the wire I'm using is small enough. I'm gonna be running 150W per side, so will probably use about 14 gauge. Is there a hole in the middle of the plastic wire harness to accomodate extra wire run or something?

you should be fine i used a 12 gauge wire, and it was a pain but it got through there.
                    Luke
                    98 M3 with many goodies

Comment

Working...
                    X