Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

installing Aftermarket headunit: advice

Hi.
    I have finally gotten up to installing a radio in the car. I been driving radio-less since August, and when I got into my Volvo last weekend, it felt really nice to have music. So, since I've had a head unit sitting here for almost 5 weeks, I think I should install it.

So...here's the unit that I got: Blaupunkt Monterrey mp35:

...and I want to install it in the E30. THink is, I have NO experience doing this. I went on Crutchfield and they recommend getting this:
    The PAC OEM-2 $29.99

Now my questions are these:
    -What are those red and white plugs for you see in the picture of the PAC OEM-2?

-What do I use as connectors for this splicing?

-I am assuming that the instructions for the PAC OEM-2 will come with instructions and color-to-color splicing...correst assumption?

thanks in advance again!
    :)

i just ordered a head unit from crutchfield and i got the same oem connector. i decided not to even use it as i just decided to get an amp and rewire the car. but... mine did not come with color-to-color directions.

Comment

I'm fairly certain that this unit is a Common Ground Unit used to connect older model cars with new HU. HOWEVER, the wires that come from this unit will still lead to the factory amp, which is a piece. the best thing to do is to rewire the car. I would use at least 10 gauge, run to each speaker, and then run a sub line to the trunk. or do this setup with an amp..The wiring is located on the left side of the car and runs all the way to the trunk. The front right speaker line runs through the dashboard and the right rear runs through the rear deck. honestly you will probably want to update all the speakers in the car as well. Don't increase the rear speaker size though, i thought putting a 6X9 would be great bc i wanted bass but didn't want to take up the trunk. (i did this on my 92 camry with AMAzing results, sounded like 12's) anyway, it's a pathetic acoustical setup. just replace with 5.25 in rear (or just leave'm) and look up the 6.5 front door mod on pelican. make sure to have a bass hole somehow to get the full sub effect!

Comment

Originally posted by Dresden87 View Post
        I'm fairly certain that this unit is a Common Ground Unit used to connect older model cars with new HU. HOWEVER, the wires that come from this unit will still lead to the factory amp, which is a piece. the best thing to do is to rewire the car. I would use at least 10 gauge, run to each speaker, and then run a sub line to the trunk. or do this setup with an amp..The wiring is located on the left side of the car and runs all the way to the trunk. The front right speaker line runs through the dashboard and the right rear runs through the rear deck. honestly you will probably want to update all the speakers in the car as well. Don't increase the rear speaker size though, i thought putting a 6X9 would be great bc i wanted bass but didn't want to take up the trunk. (i did this on my 92 camry with AMAzing results, sounded like 12's) anyway, it's a pathetic acoustical setup. just replace with 5.25 in rear (or just leave'm) and look up the 6.5 front door mod on pelican. make sure to have a bass hole somehow to get the full sub effect!
        D00d i have to disagree about the stock premium setup. it sounds pretty damn nice to me. not much bass but that is fixable with an aftermarket sub. I think with bassblockers on the stock speakers and a decent sub and it will be pretty good especially for a stock setup. This is from someone with a 4x35 clarion, a 4x75 oldskool PPI, a FEW crossovers, and an Audio Control EQL just sitting around that i could easily install to replace the stocker. for now, im just going to take speaker-level off the rear shelf speakers and run em to my 370w (bridged) PPI oldskool 2125 through line-level adapters. Ive already got turn on at the power antenna and power and ground at the batt in the trunk, so this will be one of the simplest installs i will have ever done!

-Rob

Comment

Originally posted by rodrigo View Post
          Hi.
          I have finally gotten up to installing a radio in the car. I been driving radio-less since August, and when I got into my Volvo last weekend, it felt really nice to have music. So, since I've had a head unit sitting here for almost 5 weeks, I think I should install it.

So...here's the unit that I got: Blaupunkt Monterrey mp35:

...and I want to install it in the E30. THink is, I have NO experience doing this. I went on Crutchfield and they recommend getting this:
          The PAC OEM-2 $29.99

Now my questions are these:
          -What are those red and white plugs for you see in the picture of the PAC OEM-2?

-What do I use as connectors for this splicing?

-I am assuming that the instructions for the PAC OEM-2 will come with instructions and color-to-color splicing...correst assumption?

thanks in advance again!
          :)
          Do NOT buy that piece of crap PAC box. You don't need it, it will only make things tougher.

The factory amp is a pile of shit too, don't use it unless talk radio is your only priority.

Fill in some details on your car...what year, what model, do you have premium sound or not, fader still in the dash, etc.

It only takes about 3 hours to properly install a deck in an E30.

Run new wires to all of your speakers.

Luke

Closing SOON!
          "LAST CHANCE FOR G.A.S." DEAL IS ON NOW

Luke AT germanaudiospecialties DOT com or text 425-761-6450, or for quickest answers, call me at the shop 360-669-0398

Thanks for 10 years of fun!

Comment

Guys I have a question: where is that stock amp at? I agree it would be best to gank it out
            I don't think your mom appreciates the value of those modifications

Comment

driver's side of trunk. behind carpet. in front of the antenna. well... that's where it is in my coupe. not sure about a vert...

Comment

Seems to me it is the same general area on a 'vert, but under the top storage area.

Closing SOON!

Luke AT germanaudiospecialties DOT com or text 425-761-6450, or for quickest answers, call me at the shop 360-669-0398

Comment

Originally posted by StereoInstaller1 View Post
                  Do NOT buy that piece of crap PAC box. You don't need it, it will only make things tougher.

The factory amp is a pile of shit too, don't use it unless talk radio is your only priority.

Fill in some details on your car...what year, what model, do you have premium sound or not, fader still in the dash, etc.

Luke

It is an 89 325i.
                  If the location for the amplifier is where it is described a few posts back, in the driver side of the truck, I dont think I have one. I do not recall seeing one when I had the car stripped.

Do I need to get a metal cage thing that the head unit slides into?

Comment

Originally posted by StereoInstaller1 View Post

Luke
                    Luke is right. I tried to go the route of using a wiring harness and not rewiring the speakers, but I eventually saw the light and realized that bypassing the factory amp and rewiring the speakers is the best way to go.

Do it right the first time and bypass the factory amp if so equipped and run some new wires and forget about using the harness as it probably won't work and if you have a factory amp, it will sound like crap with the new HU

Read the reviews on Crutchfield for this item; there is one from an E30 owner who says that this harness does not work with E30's.

If you have a 'Vert, I can almost guarantee your car came with the "Premium Sound" option.

The amp is located against the rear "wall" at the back of the trunk on the driver's side.

On non-cabs, it's probably on the side of the trunk, but on cabby's, it's located as described above.
                    Last edited by E30 Cabrio; 11-03-2008, 09:41 PM.
                    sigpic
                    1988 5 spd.Cabrio/Lachs Silber/Black Leather/123k/Dealer Serviced & Maintained by both PO's
                    Clarion DXZ785USB HU, BBS Wheels, Leather e-brake handle & e-brake boot, Mtech 1 Wheel, Maplight Mirror, Performance chip, Rear Headrests.
                    Previous E30: 1986 5 spd. 325es/Delphin Gray/Black Leather/191k

Comment

Originally posted by rodrigo View Post
                      It is an 89 325i.
                      If the location for the amplifier is where it is described a few posts back, in the driver side of the truck, I dont think I have one. I do not recall seeing one when I had the car stripped.

Do I need to get a metal cage thing that the head unit slides into?
                      Yep, you will need the metal cage.

Do you have tweeters in the doors in your car?

If so, you have the "Premium" sound system and have a factory amp, or you did at one point.
                      sigpic
                      1988 5 spd.Cabrio/Lachs Silber/Black Leather/123k/Dealer Serviced & Maintained by both PO's
                      Clarion DXZ785USB HU, BBS Wheels, Leather e-brake handle & e-brake boot, Mtech 1 Wheel, Maplight Mirror, Performance chip, Rear Headrests.
                      Previous E30: 1986 5 spd. 325es/Delphin Gray/Black Leather/191k

Comment

Look for a bundle of wires. There will be a buttload of Yellows and blues, a bigger red and brown plus a white wire. It is for sure on the left side of the car if it is there.

I have never seen a 'vert without an amp, but I have not seen all that many 'verts in my shop.

Closing SOON!

Comment

Ok...so I will get a cage. Are they all universal?

I do not have a 'vert, not do I have tweeters on the door cards. My car olny has (had) 2 speakers on the rear shelf, and 1 speaker in each foot well. Thats it.

Looks like re-wiring will be the better option. What gauge wire should I use? 10g as mentioned in a post above will suffice?

Comment

10ga is ENORMOUS speaker wire.

Cheap 18ga is just fine.

Closing SOON!

Comment

Working...
                            X