I want ampage...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I want ampage...

I have an 87 325e 4dr and I would like to add an amp to my system. I have some aftermarket pioneer speakers the PO had installed. With tweeters as well... I would like to install an amp somewhere in my car to get better sound out of my speakers. My car does not have an amp, correct? I don't have premium sound I don't think. I have a POS Xplod HU that I bought new for 100 bucks cuz I'm broke.

But anyways... What would be a good option to get better sound out of my speakers as far as an amp goes?

I'm no good with car audio...:-(

Help is appreciated... Thanks

-Chris

You do not have an amp currently. Really, until you're trying to get superb sound out of your car (by putting in a super nice HU, awesome speakers, etc) any old amp will improve it a bit. Look for them on craigslist, I picked up a nice old 240W Sherwood for 40 bucks yesterday.
    cars beep boop

Comment

OK. But how do I install it? Do I connect the speaker wires coming out of the HU into the amp then out of the amp into the speakers? Should I get a 4 channel amp for the speakers? Or do they make 6 channels for a car with tweeters? Or what... wattage?

Also, I like your write-up on the HU modification. Can I do that with a radio with a cd playerr? Like maybe trick the HU into thinking that the iPod is an external 6-disc changer?

Thanks a lot!

-Chris

Comment

It's not that simple to install...I didn't read the whole thing, but this should get you started in the right direction:

http://www.caraudiohelp.com/how_to_i..._a_car_amp.htm

the12volt.com is a good resource to learn from as well...

http://www.knukonceptz.com/ a good place to buy the wiring you'll need.
        92 325ic 5 speed, hard top, windscreen, 133k, for sale
        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by lylefk View Post
          It's not that simple to install...I didn't read the whole thing, but this should get you started in the right direction:

How to install a car amp, installing car audio amplifiers, and car amp installation. Directions on how to wire everything from the battery to the speakers.

the12volt.com is a good resource to learn from as well...

http://www.knukonceptz.com/ a good place to buy the wiring you'll need.

Installing amps or any car audio items are simple. As far as the amp goes, depending on how old your HU and amp are they should both have rca cable slots. Thats how your amp gets the signal, then from your amp you run audio wire to your speakers. As far as voltage, run a cable from your batt to a fuse that proceeds to your amp, then just ground the amp on your car.

I'm sure Luke will chime in for a more detailed description.

o0o and for your amp to you speakers use 12g wire, And for your voltage I never use less than 2g lol but I ran some retarded things before so im guessing it all depends on how much current its going to be pulling. But just for a simple setup im sure 6g would be fine.
          Looking for a 3.46 or lower LSD. Lets make a deal.
          LSx e36TI coming soon
          Originally posted by s0urce
          Man, she'd be so easy to rape

Comment

Oh geez, the above post is about 60% right. I'm not saying it's hard, just more complicated than the OP described. There are plenty of resources online that can tell you what gauge power wire you need to run to the amp, in most cases you won't need to run 2 gauge wire...and I'm not sure I've ever even SEEN 6 gauge power wire. Common sizes are 8, 4, 2, 1/0...Just check out the links I posted and do some reading...it's not hard by any means, but won't turn out well if it isn't done correctly.

RCA's from head unit to amp (one for every 2 channels)
            Power wire from battery to amp (fuse block in engine compartment)
            remote wire from head unit to amp
            Speaker wire from amp to speakers

You want to run the power and speaker wire on one side, remote and power wire on the other. Running them together will introduce noise into the system.

A good, solid ground is important. Same gauge as your power wire.

Honestly, there's more to mention than I have the energy to post...just do a little reading.

Hope that helps
            Last edited by lylefk; 12-08-2008, 08:21 PM.
            sigpic

Comment

Thanks for the info guys. I have a POS Xplod HU. I think it only has one output. Do they make wiring that has speaker wire on one side and an RCA on the other?

I'm planning on installing two speakers in the door cards if luke tells me they will fit in my doors... :D

my e30 will be undergoing MAJOR stereo reconstruction if I decide to not sell...

Comment

i got a very nice clarion 4x35 for $50 off ebay. also a coustic xm6 for about $35. xm6 is an excellent system crossover, which can take a single stereo input and output front and rear highpass and subwoofer lowpass signals to various amps. you dont need six channels for the main satellite speakers, really you dont even need rear speakers at all. if you just did an active crossover on the front speakers, a single 4channel amp would suffice nicely, such as a 4x35 or 4x50, plus a sub amp. basically what that means is 2x35w for the tweeters and 2x35 for the midranges. then the sub can take anywhere from 100-1000w or more. what is your budget for the whole system?

Comment

I bought an alpine cda-9884 tonight. I am looking at an Alpine MRPF250 rated at 4x50w rms. The seller wants $75 for it. Then I will need to pick up some speakers that can handle 50w correct? I already have a sub in a box with its own amp. I want to get my car going since I sold my eta and bought this 318.

On another note. I bought a 325is as a parts car and it has premium sound. Will these speaker/tweeters suffice?

Thanks for all the help,

-Chris

Comment

You can use those speakers, but I'd consider upgrading the fronts...you don't have to spend a fortune but will get a bump in longevity and sound quality. The TR series from JL Audio is a great value, especially if you don't mind getting it off of Ebay. I'm not sure if the TR525cxi will fit in the stock location, might be too deep...if you go the 6.5's in the door, look up the TR650-cxi or VR650-cxi from JL. There's a lot of inexpensive options out there, but I love those choices...if you want to spend a bit more, the XR650-cxi are nice ($160 plus shipping on Ebay)...you could def get away with putting the stockers in the back...spend the money on fronts, not rears.
                    sigpic

Comment

Working...
                    X