6.5's in door cards

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

6.5's in door cards

I have herd about a bunch of people in here installing 6.5's in to the door cards directly on late model doors, but can't find a single Friggn picture of this install. If any one could help it would be appreciated...Thanks;)
    89 325i parts car
    90 325i in progress
    ground control 400f 700r-koni adjustables-koni adjustable sways-reinforced control arms-ground control camber plates-e36 cabrio shock mounts-4.10 lsd-5 speed swap in the works
    --tryng to join the schwarz army one day at a time--sigpic

I don't have any pics handy...but the last 2 or 3 sets I did were just like 3/4" inside the map pocket, pretty much flush with the inner plateau of the door panel.

What depth are the 6.5s?

Closing SOON!
    "LAST CHANCE FOR G.A.S." DEAL IS ON NOW

Luke AT germanaudiospecialties DOT com or text 425-761-6450, or for quickest answers, call me at the shop 360-669-0398

Thanks for 10 years of fun!

Comment

They are 2-3/4" . . . So mounting right in to the door card itself is not an option? I would like to be able to use the air space of the doors, instead of using the spall air space i would be allowed with map pocket enclosures. I have no issue fiberlassing. I also would think that a map pocket located enclosure would have poor imaging being so low. And i have been concluded that these hd-series woofers are a bit picky with imaging...
      89 325i parts car
      90 325i in progress
      ground control 400f 700r-koni adjustables-koni adjustable sways-reinforced control arms-ground control camber plates-e36 cabrio shock mounts-4.10 lsd-5 speed swap in the works

Comment

I have pics posted somewhere of my crappy still unfinished install.
        "We praise or find fault, depending on which of the two provides more opportunity for our powers of judgement to shine."

Comment

Originally posted by brn2ply7 View Post
          They are 2-3/4" . . . So mounting right in to the door card itself is not an option? I would like to be able to use the air space of the doors, instead of using the spall air space i would be allowed with map pocket enclosures. I have no issue fiberlassing. I also would think that a map pocket located enclosure would have poor imaging being so low. And i have been concluded that these hd-series woofers are a bit picky with imaging...
          No, perhaps I should have been more precise.

In the door panel, NOT in the pocket, but the lowest apex of the mounting diameter of the speaker below the line of the pocket.

Sorry if that was unclear.

Take your door apart. You have to do some metal cutting, but it ain't that bad.

Closing SOON!

Luke AT germanaudiospecialties DOT com or text 425-761-6450, or for quickest answers, call me at the shop 360-669-0398

Comment

fyi: http://r3vlimited.com/board/showthre...hlight=speaker
            ok good deal... am i going to have enough enough mounting depth?
            I will pop off the panels tonight and get to work!! System should sound pretty freekn sweet when its done !
            89 325i parts car
            90 325i in progress

Comment

You will be shocked how much of a difference it makes to have the speakers not playing to your ankles.

Closing SOON!

Comment

Originally posted by StereoInstaller1 View Post
                You will be shocked how much of a difference it makes to have the speakers not playing to your ankles.
                Agreed, it's pretty awesome.
                "We praise or find fault, depending on which of the two provides more opportunity for our powers of judgement to shine."

Comment

Stereo installer...would you be willing to help me out with some box dimensions for a rear deck ported single 12" infinity 1250???
                  89 325i parts car
                  90 325i in progress

Comment

Also what is the best way to get speaker wire into the door?
                    89 325i parts car
                    90 325i in progress

Comment

Stereo installer...would you be willing to help me out with some box dimensions for a rear deck ported single 12" infinity 1250???
                      You mean like the V1 or V2 boxes I build?

Height: 15"
                      Width: 36"
                      Top depth: 5 7/8"
                      Bottom depth: 12"

All of the above is from memory, which is spotty at best.

I will be building more boxes like next month or maybe January, don't know yet.

Also what is the best way to get speaker wire into the door?
                      Best? There is no really easy way...but if you remove the boot from the plug that goes into the door jam, you will see a small hole through the plug.

Running the wire through the boot is easy, just use a coathanger (or other wire) and electrical tape, or a set of "Grabbers", which are a 3 foot long set of flexible 4 jaw wire grabbers.

I HIGHLY recommend you start in the door jam when running wires like this.

GL!
                      Luke

Closing SOON!

Comment

Alright, thanks so much! Quality guy...
                        89 325i parts car
                        90 325i in progress

Comment

I did it with a coat hanger. It was pretty simple. The hardest part is cutting the metal in the door even on both sides and then lining up your cuts in the door panel.

Comment

Cut the door cards first, put it back on and trace the metal with a sharpie.

Closing SOON!

Comment

Is it worth it (or do-able) to install the BMW Premium speakers in the lower door cards in this way? They are certainly smaller than 6.5" so they might fit easier, yes?
                              '74 2002 - Build blog at
                              nomads2002.blogspot.com

Comment

Working...
                              X