Odometer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Odometer

I pulled my speedometer today to try and fix my odometer. The gears that are known to get stripped looked fine, other than the large orange one was missing one tooth. I had a spare gear out of another gauge cluster so I went ahead and replaced it. With either gear in it I was able to turn the top gear and they would all spin and the trip and odometer would turn, but when I put it back in the car there is nothing, the spedometer works which is most important, but I would like to track the miles that I'm traveling....any suggestions?

FWIW, it's usually the small gear that breaks and causes the odometer to stop functioning. IIRC, it's the small white one. If that one is in good shape, then there shouldn't be an issue. If it starts working sporadically, then it could be a broken solder on either the speedometer of the instrument cluster itself.
    - Trey

E90 325i/6 (ZSP, ZPP, ZCW)
    E36 325i sedan
    E30 325i sedan
    Volvo 945T

Comment

Must be something electical because it's the small white one that I'm spinning and turning the rest with. I could switch out the speedometer and see if that works, I did that with the fuel gauge and it seems to work now. It's just my car's odo shows 111,xxx miles and the other one is 142,xxx but no biggy, I'll probably just swtich them and see what happens. Thanks

Comment

Is the speedo Motometer or VDO? I think the VDO one is more difficult to turn the mileage on.
        - Trey

E90 325i/6 (ZSP, ZPP, ZCW)
        E36 325i sedan
        E30 325i sedan
        Volvo 945T

Comment

I'm not sure what they are. My originial one is out of my 86 es, and the one I'm going to put in is out of an 89 ix...they were both easy to turn by hand though

Comment

Working...
          X