New midbass in doors & amp installed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New midbass in doors & amp installed

Well, it took a few days for a couple hours after work to finish it, but it's finally done.

The speaker pods came with the door panels that I got out of an M3 four years ago. Until now, there was an 5 1/4" void with only a grill. The first one I actually used a sanding wheel on a dremel to carve out and it took a good hour. I learned my lesson and went and bought a cutting tool that had it out in about 5 minutes...although it was just about the most awful sound I've ever heard in my life.

Ran all new wires and hooked up the amp (Polk MOMO 150x2...actual output 180x2 RMS).

Here is a speaker, nothing much to look at, but it sounds great. 150W RMS 6 1/2" Adire Audio Koda 6.

Finally, a finished door.

Sound is definitely much fuller than before, although I still need to tweek my crossover and gain settings.
    -Brandon
    '86 325es S50
    '12 VW GTI Autobahn DSG
    '03 540i M-Sport (sold)
    '08 Jeep SRT-8 (sold)

For sale:
    S50 TMS chip for Schricks

good work...
    Dan

Comment

looks sweet, i use my map pocket to hold my black leather cd wallet though, digging underneath my seats for it got to be too much of a hassle, sweet though :)
      Who doesn't love a little BBQ?
      Griot's Garage at a Deep Discount

Comment

Looks good, but I think you made a bad choice in your amp (IMO of course). You are paying for the momo label, and it isn't even that great of an amp, BUT your map pocket install looks great :up:

97 Cosmos M3

Comment

Originally posted by MattE30
          Looks good, but I think you made a bad choice in your amp (IMO of course). You are paying for the momo label, and it isn't even that great of an amp, BUT your map pocket install looks great :up:
          The amp I actually got an awesome deal on, I couldn't pass it up. I believe it normally retails for over $400, I got it for less than cost, $170.
          -Brandon
          '86 325es S50
          '12 VW GTI Autobahn DSG
          '03 540i M-Sport (sold)
          '08 Jeep SRT-8 (sold)

For sale:

Comment

Looks good, but you should have gotten an orion...haha...J/K. The only thing I don't like with the speaker being that low is the separation between the mid and the tweet...throws off the imaging (not to mention the mid is firing under your legs) But I'm NOT knocking your install, again good job.

Comment

Originally posted by jimi318is
              Looks good, but you should have gotten an orion...haha...J/K. The only thing I don't like with the speaker being that low is the separation between the mid and the tweet...throws off the imaging (not to mention the mid is firing under your legs) But I'm NOT knocking your install, again good job.
              Its way better than stock. Looks real nice.

Comment

wtf is a 300 watt amp (f that bs 220x2 @ 2 ohm crap) going for 400 dollars for? an a-class, no less. thats a steal for 170, good find. ps: always mount amps vertically (a la jordan's mount), the heatsinks are designed to dissipate heat more efficiently this way...so is a playstation 2.
                I retired my E30 for now...
                E46 323i
                David Schultz

Comment

so do these door pockets come factory like that or are they custom? any writeups on makeing them?

Comment

Originally posted by DSchultz325e
                    wtf is a 300 watt amp (f that bs 220x2 @ 2 ohm crap) going for 400 dollars for? an a-class, no less. thats a steal for 170, good find. ps: always mount amps vertically (a la jordan's mount), the heatsinks are designed to dissipate heat more efficiently this way...so is a playstation 2.
                    I would have mounted it that way, but the rear shock tower brace is in the way. It absolutely is a very overpriced amp though.

Originally posted by kylebes1
                    so do these door pockets come factory like that or are they custom? any writeups on makeing them?
                    The door pods were custom made. I got them with the door panels when I bought them a long time ago. There really isn't a whole lot to them, for some reason it's made of plywood and plastic. Not a sealed box, just screws to the door from the other side, and then it's just covered in vinyl.
                    -Brandon
                    '86 325es S50
                    '12 VW GTI Autobahn DSG
                    '03 540i M-Sport (sold)
                    '08 Jeep SRT-8 (sold)

For sale:

Comment

this is some what on topic, are 5.25 inch midbass speakers anygood? i would like to start on a system and do not really wnat to go witha sub of anykind, just not my liking. I had a 2001 Jeep Grand Cherokee that had 4 mid bass speakers and four tweeters from Infinity form the factory, it was plenty loud engouh for me and never distorted.

I have seen MB quarts but it seems the shape of the Infinity speaker would make them more for low end bass, which I bias toward anyway compared to midrange.

Also I want a head unit that is not flashy and looks like it belongs in the car, any suggestions?

Comment

Originally posted by kylebes1
                        this is some what on topic, are 5.25 inch midbass speakers anygood? i would like to start on a system and do not really wnat to go witha sub of anykind, just not my liking. I had a 2001 Jeep Grand Cherokee that had 4 mid bass speakers and four tweeters from Infinity form the factory, it was plenty loud engouh for me and never distorted.

I have seen MB quarts but it seems the shape of the Infinity speaker would make them more for low end bass, which I bias toward anyway compared to midrange.

Also I want a head unit that is not flashy and looks like it belongs in the car, any suggestions?
                        There is absolutely nothing that Infinity makes that MB Quart doesn't make better. Infinity is a very mainstream company, much like Rockford Fosgate, JBL, Kenwood, etc. MB Quart is a specialized company, and you will not ever find their products being sold at Best Buy or Circuit City. Most of the mainstream companies have deteriorated into complete shit, Rockford, especially. There was a time when Rockford used to make awesome amps that could easily power loads that would fry the shit they make now. Companies like JL Audio, MB Quart, Eclipse, Phoenix Gold, etc, are all enthusiast companies where they really just don't make bad product. However, you pay out the ass for their higher end stuff. In car audio, you really do get what you pay for, so don't skimp.

Regarding 5 1/4s, they are just fine. I am running both sets at stock dimensions, and with proper crossovers and power, you will be plenty happy. As for bass without a subwoofer...Your best bet will probably be cutting the rear shelf to accomodate 6x9s. Don't waste your money on the worthless "omg we have 3 tweeters" stuff they are making now. The rear shelf is not going to be making your highs sound any better, all the sound stage is up front. All that you need is a large diameter cone to push lows. You would probably be satisfied with a 6x9 from Eclipse or JL Audio's coaxial line of speakers. This stuff is much much better than the retail stuff.

With head units, you're gonna get a mix of opinions. Some people swear that Alpine make the best decks ever, and even go so far as to think that the bright red display matches the amber lights... :roll: I personally think my Eclipse deck fits well into the cabin. It is lit up as a bright blue/white, and the buttons illuminate the amber and green, much like the speedo gauges (green is foglights 8) ) It's all up to you. Good luck.
                        I retired my E30 for now...
                        E46 323i
                        David Schultz

Comment

Working...
                        X