$30 scosche sub box arrived today...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

$30 scosche sub box arrived today...

i decided to take a budget route and buy a sub box off amazon.com. its a scosche SE12 for a 12" sealed sub. Im initially going to face the woofer backwards into the trunk (i have a dynamatXtreme trunk kit just waiting for this shit), but may decide to fire it through the ski hole. in any event the ski hole cover and stock mids will be removed. i got advice from someone who has had several iasca e30s who has done the rear-facing setup with good results. the sub box has an angled back, so if i decide to go ahead and seal it to the passthrough, i'll just seal up the normal hole and cut a new one on the angled side to meet the rear bulkhead better. bolt it and seal it in place and be done with it.

box was $30 from amazon with free shipping, meaning they sold me the box for $10 as shipping would have been $19.98 or something like that if i had paid for it.

once my alpine type S and PPI 2125 arrive from cali, i will post results.

how does the construction look?
    I saw those and thought they'd be a good alternative to spending time to make my own for the same cost.
    '74 2002 - Build blog at
    nomads2002.blogspot.com

Comment

seems extremely solid. I am going to go ahead and cover the plastic speaker connection "cup" area with adhesive silicone to prevent leaks there, and will probably also go over all the inside corners with same stuff just out of an abundance of overkill (my favorite passtime). Also once my woofer arrives, im going to cut the carpet covering in an outline of the woofer frame edge so that no air can escape through the carpet material itself. I will also smear a layer of the silicone around this now-bare mounting surface, then let it dry, to serve as a kind of gasket. Air tight is a good thing! :)

-Rob

Comment

Cool.

Just bought one myself.

It's $20 in MDF at Home depot and a weekend of measuring, cutting, cursing and cutting again and jigsawing out the speaker hole. Not to mention $ for spray adhesive and carpet with the cursing involved there.

At $29 shipped I say it's a bargain!
        :thumbsup:
        '74 2002 - Build blog at
        nomads2002.blogspot.com

Comment

update: it is slightly too tall. Im having to remove the trunk floor sound deadening and hammering the underside of the package tray metal to get it to slide underneath. its actually going to wedge in there nice and tightly, so prolly wont need to bolt it down! also the "wedge" angle on the back appears to be very close to the seatback bulkhead angle. pics to follow... ;)

Comment

i looked at the ad and it did not state how many cubic feet of air space it has. how much? and what are the dimensions (outside) of it?
            seien Sie größer, als Sie erscheinen

Your signature picture has been removed since it contained the Photobucket "upgrade your account" image.

Comment

18 x 18 x 14 or
              18.5 x 18.5 x 14.5

something like that.

I don't have sound deadening in my car. Report back how it works out. Mine isn't going to ship till middle January! Plenty of time to cancel it if it doesn't work out...
              '74 2002 - Build blog at
              nomads2002.blogspot.com

Comment

Originally posted by NOMAD View Post
                18 x 18 x 14 or
                18.5 x 18.5 x 14.5

something like that.

I don't have sound deadening in my car. Report back how it works out. Mine isn't going to ship till middle January! Plenty of time to cancel it if it doesn't work out...

the dimensions given on several websites are for the outside of the box it is shipped in, not the actual box itself... (go figger)... here are some pics:

that drooping "bubble" has to be hammered upwards a bit. I took a screwdriver and hammered a crease in the side of it (facing rear), and then hammered upwards on it with a dead blow. after that, the box fits nicely, and after passthrough is hammered out, will have a decent return area into cabin, i hope. notice the near-perfect match of seatback metal to angle of the box itself. if the rear-facing idea doesnt work, the back of the box could be cut for woofer, and existing hole sealed up with a piece of MDF cut to fit, fairly easily. seal it to passthrough and voila! :)

interior volume is given at 1.25cuft which is about perfect for my alpine type S and im sure a lot of other 12s in sealed config.

Comment

p.s. i will measure actual box tomorrow, if i can find a tape..

Comment

From the looks of it, could you have placed it dead center and skipped the whole hammering process? I've got the ski pass out already and figured I'd center it.
                    Looks nice, the angle fits perfect.
                    '74 2002 - Build blog at
                    nomads2002.blogspot.com

Comment

A local guy just got one of those from me with a RF 12' sub and MTX amp.

Comment

Originally posted by NOMAD View Post
                        From the looks of it, could you have placed it dead center and skipped the whole hammering process? I've got the ski pass out already and figured I'd center it.
                        Looks nice, the angle fits perfect.

Indeed that is true but i wanted to leave ski hole open for bass to enter cabin from trunk area, and also to push the extra weight into corner opposite driver as much as possible (like BMW did with the trunk-mounted battery...)

IF i decide to do a sealed-to-cabin approach I will cut the hole in "back" of the box and seal existing hole, then mount it in the center of the ski hole as you describe. i have it on good authority that this is the best way to go, so ima try it. I can always try it the other way too, since the box is relatively small and (will be) mobile (on a cable run so i can move it around to try different locations/orientations).

Comment

Originally posted by Farbin Kaiber View Post
                          A local guy just got one of those from me with a RF 12' sub and MTX amp.

how does he like it? which way does his woofer point, where did he put it, and what other mods if any? :)

Comment

He is still mid install, I just placed the stuff into his trunk.

Comment

Originally posted by Farbin Kaiber View Post
                              He is still mid install, I just placed the stuff into his trunk.

ahh, how much power is he going to use? Ima only have 250-370w depending on if i want to use new PPI or old one. New one is easier to install for a number of reasons including the fact that I have lost the PPI-specific speaker connectors to the old skooler... would have to solder wires to amp internals, etc...

Comment

Working...
                              X