Odd ball question, cigarette ligther charger

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Odd ball question, cigarette ligther charger

Anyone ever notice when they plug a car charger for a cell phone in the cigarette lighter it doesn't really stay in place and wiggles around? For those that have what do you use or recommend to solve this problem? If I lay the phone down and don't touch it that's fine, but if I end up picking up a call or doing something else with it I lose the contact between the charger the cigarette lighter outlet and becomes a PITA.

Any suggestions would be great :)
    sigpic

use a screw driver to pry out the metal prongs on the charger a little.
    sigpic

Comment

E30s do have a shallow lighter, necessitated by its proximity to the tranny tunnel I think. I'm just going to buy the glovebox plug adapter and use that to charge stuff, but that may not work so well for a phone.

Project M42 Turbo

Comment

What I did for mine might be a little extreme.

I took apart the head of the charger, drilled a hole in my console for the LED, mounted that after extending the wires, then soldered wires onto the receptacle end to connect to power.

I unsoldered the wire off the charger cable itself, drilled a hole for that in the center console, then reattached it to the charger...basically, a built in charger.

If my car was not 350 miles north of me I would take a pic or three and post.

Luke

Closing SOON!
        "LAST CHANCE FOR G.A.S." DEAL IS ON NOW

Luke AT germanaudiospecialties DOT com or text 425-761-6450, or for quickest answers, call me at the shop 360-669-0398

Thanks for 10 years of fun!

Comment

Originally posted by StereoInstaller1 View Post

I took apart the head of the charger, drilled a hole in my console for the LED, mounted that after extending the wires, then soldered wires onto the receptacle end to connect to power.

I unsoldered the wire off the charger cable itself, drilled a hole for that in the center console, then reattached it to the charger...basically, a built in charger.

Luke
          I did basically the same thing in my MG. Ran the plug into the center console and hid all the wiring. I got a new plug from RadioShack though instead of using the old one.

Comment

Originally posted by NitroRustlerDriver View Post
            I did basically the same thing in my MG. Ran the plug into the center console and hid all the wiring. I got a new plug from RadioShack though instead of using the old one.
            what happens when you guys get a new cell phone?
            Who doesn't love a little BBQ?
            Griot's Garage at a Deep Discount

Comment

Originally posted by StereoInstaller1 View Post

Luke
              They do that with the new charger. It does'nt take that long.
              -Andy

Comment

Originally posted by NitroRustlerDriver View Post
                Did you show the LED? Mine gets brighter when charging.

The radioshack sockets are crap, too. You still have to tape them on, so fuck it, I solder, THEN tape.

Closing SOON!
                "LAST CHANCE FOR G.A.S." DEAL IS ON NOW

Luke AT germanaudiospecialties DOT com or text 425-761-6450, or for quickest answers, call me at the shop 360-669-0398

Thanks for 10 years of fun!

Comment

Working...
                X