A new type of woofer?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A new type of woofer?

OK, so unbeknownst to me, an entirely new concept in woofers has come along.

They look quite a bit different than a traditional woofer, like thus:

If you want to read up on the concept, read this:

Personally, I am thinking I might buy a couple of smaller ones and make see silly shit and see what it sounds like.

My main concern is the very high moving mass...the bigger one has 380 grams of MM, about double what I like to see in a 12" woofer.

On the good side, tymphany has merged with (DST) Scan-Speak, SEAS, and Peerless to make some really good shit, and cheaper stuff too.

Anyone seen these? Alpine as supposed to be having them on the market, but I have seen nothing.

Luke

Closing SOON!
    "LAST CHANCE FOR G.A.S." DEAL IS ON NOW

Luke AT germanaudiospecialties DOT com or text 425-761-6450, or for quickest answers, call me at the shop 360-669-0398

Thanks for 10 years of fun!

That file crashes for some reason...I've never seen anything like it, I'm curious.
    92 325ic 5 speed, hard top, windscreen, 133k, for sale
    sigpic

Comment

The thing is pretty damn curious to me too!

File loaded here on Chrome just fine, dunno what would be wrong.

Closing SOON!
      "LAST CHANCE FOR G.A.S." DEAL IS ON NOW

Luke AT germanaudiospecialties DOT com or text 425-761-6450, or for quickest answers, call me at the shop 360-669-0398

Thanks for 10 years of fun!

Comment

hmmmm. very interesting. a couple things that i noticed... they're quoting area in in^3. shouldn't that be in^2? also, i understand that 10 3.5" woofers can have more area than a single 12", but can those 10 3.5's accurately cover the range that the 12 can? i.e. can the 3.5's go deep?

Comment

I am very curious to hear one of these.

Did anyone else see the date at the bottom of the PDF? 2005-2006

Andy
          -Andy

Comment

Stick your finger in the slots.

Looks pretty cool.
            1985 325e 2.8 Turbo VEMS

Comment

they had an article in car audio about a year or so ago.
              Originally posted by Ferdinand
              I carry a cheap pressure gauge in my glovebox with which to manually check my tire pressures, but I keep forgetting that in the USA glovebox space is sacred as it is reserved exclusively for the purpose of storing handguns.

DIVING BOARD DIVISION DIVISION IDIOT

Comment

http://www.caraudiomag.com/testrepor...fer/index.html. ive been reading and i guess its not a alpine sub, just an alpine box with a tympany LAT700
                Originally posted by Ferdinand
                I carry a cheap pressure gauge in my glovebox with which to manually check my tire pressures, but I keep forgetting that in the USA glovebox space is sacred as it is reserved exclusively for the purpose of storing handguns.

DIVING BOARD DIVISION DIVISION IDIOT

Comment

Any one ever try this out?
                  89 325i parts car
                  90 325i in progress
                  ground control 400f 700r-koni adjustables-koni adjustable sways-reinforced control arms-ground control camber plates-e36 cabrio shock mounts-4.10 lsd-5 speed swap in the works
                  --tryng to join the schwarz army one day at a time--sigpic

Comment

Working...
                  X