Gauge cluster half-lit at night

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Gauge cluster half-lit at night

Among some other cluster problems, this is one....

I first thought the bulbs were bad, but I swapped/replaced some and still nothing.

Of the bulbs not working would be the right side main (redish-orange) backlight for the tach/econogauge/temp, the left turn signal indicator, the fog light indicator, and a couple of the brake warning lights.

With the back lights and turn signals, I swapped bulbs with other side, it's not the bulbs tho. I am wondering if there is a cold solder joint somewhere, or if this is a somewhat common problem someone knows what to do? Thanks,
    ~Rick | 1990 325iC ~Noelle - Her build/cleanup thread http://r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=179507

There is no one circuit that would affect those lights. The cluster illumination for example, is dimmed via rheostat on the ground side, with a separate switched full +12v.

Every time I pull a cluster that has been fairly untouched for most of the cars life, upon putting it back in, I always seem to find some bulb burned out that was not before.

I would start with the easiest, the cluster illumination. (BTW, they are not 194 bulbs. Same size/shape/base, but lower wattage.) Grab two new ones, pull out the bases, and "spring" the contacts out that touch the trace on the circuit board when you install the new bulbs.

To check without the cluster fully installed, Plug in C2 (IIRC, its the connector closest to the drivers door) and pull the parking lights on. You will see less than battery voltage across the terminals due to the dimmer, but on a separate ground, you should find a full +12v.
    -Dave
    2003 Lincoln Towncar | 1992 BMW 325iC | 1968 Cadillac Deville

Need some help figuring out the ETM?

Comment

When I got the car I had NO interior lights, which was a faulty light switch, so I replaced that. Now the lights turn on and dim correctly.

The lights not working on the cluster is the right side main backlight, the left blinker, the foglight, park brake and brake lining lights (the two brake lights do not come on when key is first turned on)

I think I replaced both main lights with 194's, but even before I did, I swapped them, the left side still worked and right side did not. Same thing with both turn signal indicators.

While trying to remove the tiny bulbs from their plastic housings (which are not able to come apart) I broke one, does the BMW dealer carry them? I was just going to replace all bulbs in the cluster while it's out.

I just fund it odd that several lights do not work at all, when the bulbs are good, which is why I was thinking maybe a faulty connection or cold solder joint.
      ~Rick | 1990 325iC ~Noelle - Her build/cleanup thread http://r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=179507

Comment

Fixed!

Comment

Cool, what was it?
          -Dave

Comment

Originally posted by DaveSmed View Post
            Cool, what was it?
            Night Wolf, Noobie

It would be nice to post what was the solution to your problem as it may help others.
            sigpic
            WTB-Strut Bar

Comment

He's probably too busy out driving it. :)
              -Dave

Comment

I have the same issue, I have some spare bulbs, I will try them out.

Comment

NightWolf....please finish the thread you started...what did you do to correct the problem? I am having the same issue.....my bulbs are good but right side will not light up.

Comment

Mine does the same, usually a smack on the dash gets it to work haha Gotta love e30s
                    Continuous For Sale Thread
                    323i s50

Comment

Originally posted by Court M3 View Post
                      Mine does the same, usually a smack on the dash gets it to work haha Gotta love e30s
                      Same here, but mine is the passenger side.

Comment

Working...
                      X