• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

best possible sound from...

Alright.

I'm back on track with my ix.

I'll be eventually buying one of lukes boxes - nothing more needs said here

I have the 6.5's and we all know the possible solutions for midbass in the e30. It has been discussed countless times.

I have 4 inch CDT mids and I need to get the best possible sound out of these since they will be hitting the majority of the notes. They are currently mounted just above the map pocket (about dead center) but only mounted to the door card. I'm sure this is not ideal. I think they would sound best in some sort of small enclosure.

The 6.5's are currently in kick panel.

How can I create the best possible sound quality without building huge fucking pods for my doors.

something like this would be acceptable but then what do i do with the 4 incher.

I'm not opposed to elimating speakers but I paid good money for what I have so if I can use it, I may as well.

6.5's are focal polyglass (probably be replaced with something else later on)

4's are CDT HD-4

tweeters are CDT TW-25's

Sub is an IDmax 10 - although it doesn't fit in lukes box so it might be something else.

you could spend the $500 for those hideous (maybe its just the angle) pods and put the 4" at the top/front of the door. are the pods sealed? If not you can mount the 4" in those foam isolation cups but I am guessing they are sealed so you can just cut the door panel and mount the 4s there at the top. anyway that would more or less line everything up for good sound. I assume you are going to use stock premium location for the tweets?

Comment

Originally posted by robspeed325i View Post
      you could spend the $500 for those hideous (maybe its just the angle) pods and put the 4" at the top/front of the door. are the pods sealed? If not you can mount the 4" in those foam isolation cups but I am guessing they are sealed so you can just cut the door panel and mount the 4s there at the top. anyway that would more or less line everything up for good sound. I assume you are going to use stock premium location for the tweets?
      those pods are too expensive that was just something that would be okay at worst.

tweets are already in the stock housings. I put them in there about a year ago. What are these insulation cups you speak of?

Comment

Originally posted by DrMcDave View Post
        those pods are too expensive that was just something that would be okay at worst.

tweets are already in the stock housings. I put them in there about a year ago. What are these insulation cups you speak of?

people have put 6.5s right in the top/front of the door with good results, then you could sell the 4"s on ebay or something. my own plans are to use an 8" sub for a midbass at the front/top of the door (pioneer shallow mount ones), and then keep the stock premium speaker locations for mid and tweet. My sub amp has a crossover which i will use to take out the <80hz action, then split out the 80-250hz for the 8s, then 250-3Khz for the mids and >3k for the tweets via a coustic XM6 crossover ive had for a long time.

Comment

oh those are pretty cool. There are a lot of shallow mount subs out now. If I could mount the 6.5 lower and do the four where you are talking about putting the 8. I might be in business for my 3 way setup. I think the key might be to get a few screws into the metal behind the door card.

Comment

Originally posted by DrMcDave View Post
            oh those are pretty cool. There are a lot of shallow mount subs out now. If I could mount the 6.5 lower and do the four where you are talking about putting the 8. I might be in business for my 3 way setup. I think the key might be to get a few screws into the metal behind the door card.
            ive researched it a lot and the pioneers are just about the only thing out there with 2.5" of depth or less in 8" size. the "shallow" kickers are over 3" for example. i havent looked into 6.5s just because i want to go big with the midbass in the doors. have you looked into doing some custom pods for the map pocket area? Basically like those $500 ones but DIY. someone here did his own and they look pretty good. i just want to keep my map pockets and the stock mids sound decent where they are in the kicks. mostly what im after is that strong forward midbass that brings the sub stage forward with some real ooomph. its all in the planning stages for a while as my finances are in pretty awful shape at the moment..

Comment

WOW! this are expensive door cards.
              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by AL FHA Q! View Post

yeah, makes you want to learn to fibberglass! ;)

Comment

i've done enough dicking around with fiberglass that I am pretty sure I could sucessfully build an enclosure. My finances suck for everything I want to do as well. I have all the parts, but buying lukes box and getting all the stuff for fiberglassing is not a cheap endeavor by any means. I could mind keeping the 6.5's down in the kicks, they just need more power being fed to them. I guess we'll see what happens.

Comment

Working...
                  X