Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Aftermarket cassette deck

Hey, folks.
    It's getting closer to spring, and since I didn't have a working stereo last year I'm starting to think more about installing a system for this year. I've got some time to think since I probably won't be able to take the car out of storage until April or May. I bought a refurbished Nakamichi tape deck this fall in the interest of maintaining my car's historical accuracy, and also because I have the in-console cassette holder and I feel obligated to use it since it's so pimp:pimp:.
    My question is this: I've accepted that my head unit is most likely going to be the weak link in my system as far as sound quality goes (though it's a very nice tape deck). There's a lot of nice stereo equipment out there, and I'd like to have a decent sounding system, but at what point am I just wasting money? That is to say, given that I'm using a 30-year-old cassette deck as a source, would there be a discernable difference in sound between dropping $300 into an amp and speakers and dropping $3,000 into an amp and speakers? How badly am I screwing myself over by insisting on using cassettes?
    Who put this big Subaru-shaped dent in the back of my car?
    sigpic

Does the deck have an aux input? You can always run aux or you can use a cassette adapter to run ipods. Sound quality will suffer compared to straight CD or High digital but how trained and picky are your ears? This car has such poor sound staging and sound deadening compared to others that it's probably not worth trying to make it a studio in there.
    '74 2002 - Build blog at
    nomads2002.blogspot.com

Comment

Working...
    X