Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Designing stereo around Luke's v2 box...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Designing stereo around Luke's v2 box...

Well I am going for a completely new stereo in the e30. This has been brought on by my purchase of Luke's v2 12" box. I have some parts that I already have and some that I would like to use. Looking to use some high end stuff with out breaking the bank and I would also liek to keep it as OEM looking as possible by ising the stock premium stereo locations and keeping stuff in the trunk to a minimal(and easily removeable). I am aiming more for sounds quality than just boom but I would like some thump as well. Music I listen to in order from most to least are: Underground Hiphop, 90's alternative, Trance/House, Breakbeats/DnB, old school Hiphop, classic rock, current rock/alternative, Current Hiphop.

What I currently have:
    CD43 BMW Business with DICE
    Luke's v2 box
    Luke's 12" power sub
    2 sets of MB Quart QSC213 5.25" components(thoughts on these? any good? I have a guy that wants to buy them)

What I need:
    amps for interior and sub (i was originally thinking JL but the guy who wants the speakers said they were overrated)
    I figure i need some sort of converter and crossover for the cd43 like a Audiocontrol lc6i and 6xs or something along those lines any input there?
    Should i replace my interior speakers?
    do I need a capacitor for this?

what do you guys think?
    e30sport.net
    '15 Porsche GT3 - 7-speed PDK - Daily Driver
    '86 325es - s54b32tu - 6-speed - Mtech 1
    '89 325is - m20b25 - 5-speed - Individual

If loud is not too big of an issue, you could get away with a 5 channel amp: most like to see a 2 ohm load on the bass, but generally, most only make 250~300 on the sub channel.

Either way, you need a 2 ohm monoblock for that sub.

I have had issues with 2 of the 20 or so of the Exile "Shift" series amps I have sold...so I am not willing to put up with a 10% failure rate of ANY product I recommend...fukdat, man!

Memphis is another good shot, as their smaller (500 RMS) monoblock amp is nice and clean, fairly cheap, and sounds good. They make a matching 4 channel that sounds pretty nice too.

As much as I hate Kicker, their 400.1 works pretty well too. ALL of their 4 channels suck ass IMO, so I just cannot recommend them.

If you wanted to use a fairly inexpensive amplifier setup for maximum SQ, you could do a 6 channel JL amp from their cheap-o series (G6600) to run the front tweeters on 2 channels, the front mids on 2 channels and the rears on 2 channels, then a G1700 on bass, but use a Audiocontrol 6XS crossover to control the signal....that would be flat fucking amazing...in fact, that is likely what I will do if I ever get time to build myself an E34.

It seems to me that unless you feel like springing for Audison or ARC Audio or Zapco, damn near everything is made in China, or worse yet, Korea. Since I am convinced that EVERTHING is made by the same people, using the same parts, the same design...they all seem to sound the same. Nothing I can afford sounds totally controlled like old school Zapco, or all silky smooth like old Harman Kardon, or even old ADS...but todays Chinese amps do make a shit on of power, have decent performance and just kick ass in general.

I just wish I could afford ARC Audio...Bob Zeff is a god!

Luke

Closing SOON!
    "LAST CHANCE FOR G.A.S." DEAL IS ON NOW

Luke AT germanaudiospecialties DOT com or text 425-761-6450, or for quickest answers, call me at the shop 360-669-0398

Thanks for 10 years of fun!

Comment

Well are you trying to keep everything hidden or are pods ok? Luke helped me when I made my box.

I have a Alpine Type-R 12" in a 2.7 f^3 box with 3" dia Aero ports 13.6 in long. I have a Memphis 500w RMS amp for the sub and a 2 farad cap. All I have to say is for one sub it's very loud.
      I'm in a similar position to you as I also am looking to clean up my non low end sound also. I have some RF 5.25 speakers in the front that came with the car and some infinity kappa's in the back that also came with the car. I am probably going to get rid of the speakers in that back as one does not really need them and find OEM tweeters and make some sort of discrete pods for the mids...

I won't say too much since Luke is the resident PRO! Speakers pointed towards one general direction will always make for better sound.
      1988SuperETA|Full I component swap|19lb injectors|Schrick 272|MSIIExtraBeta20071020|GM DIS Wasted Spark|LC-1

Comment

Say all you want, isn't that the point of a forum? Yeah, AFAIK, I am the "pro" on here, but I am not the last word on anything in life...until you tell me something that pisses me off or is just wrong. Opinions are opinions, right?

Oh hey, find a Memphis dealer and get a listen to the Memphis MSync 5.25's. I bet you would be impressed!

Luke

Closing SOON!

Luke AT germanaudiospecialties DOT com or text 425-761-6450, or for quickest answers, call me at the shop 360-669-0398

Comment

I heard really good things about Kicker 700.5 amplifier. I don't remember specs, but it is known to be put out more, but I am not sure about 5th channel being 2 ohm stable. I do not believe in capacitors. I would also sprint for some sort of eq.
          Last edited by Mless5; 02-10-2009, 01:34 PM.
          '96 328is
          '97 m3
          '04 zhp

Comment

Originally posted by Mless5 View Post
            I do not believe in capacitors.
            They really look cool though!

Closing SOON!

Comment

Don't belive in them? It's science. Of course the amp has capacitors in it too. Maybe you don't belive in the benefits of having one.

1988SuperETA|Full I component swap|19lb injectors|Schrick 272|MSIIExtraBeta20071020|GM DIS Wasted Spark|LC-1

Comment

My headlights certainly dim less and the bass is more consistent. If you have an amp that is well-regulated, they do just about nothing...but name a current-model amp that is fully regulated that I can afford!

Closing SOON!

Comment

Originally posted by StereoInstaller1 View Post
                  They really look cool though!
                  The only reason I have one.
                  1985 325e 2.8 Turbo VEMS

Comment

ok... Did some research and this is what i have thought out for a potential system. Anyone have any recomendations or changes to improve sound quality or just for a better ourput let me know.

CD43 speaker (+) outs soldered to RCA. RCA (-) to ground for the stereo (not speaker (-)) With DICE.

Run those 2 sets of RCA (4 inputs) into Audiocontrol 6XS. 6 outputs for front, rear and sub

Front and Rear to JL audio 300/4 v2 amp. Then to the MB Quart QSC213 5.25" components front and rear in their stock premium stereo locations using their supplied crossovers.

Subs output of the 6XS to a JL Audio 500/1 v2 amp running luke's sub at a stable 2ohm. I have a 1/2 farad cap sitting around that I could use aswell.

So thats what I am going with unless someone else has something amazing that i am missing or to make it sound better. Thoughts?

oh yeah.. the cd43. to flush mount it i need to fab up a new lip on the dash plate or do I just have to trim the existing one? thoughts on this as well.
                    e30sport.net
                    '15 Porsche GT3 - 7-speed PDK - Daily Driver
                    '86 325es - s54b32tu - 6-speed - Mtech 1
                    '89 325is - m20b25 - 5-speed - Individual

Comment

6XS on that install is kind of a waste. The CD43 makes more than enough signal to drive a "/" series amp into oblivion, plus the crossovers on the "/" are quite good...

I would say the 6XS combined with 6 channels in high pass, plus sub OR the "/" amps, but why waste money? For me, the whole "/" line is so overpriced, I just can't see it.

Did you check out Zapco or ARC stuff? Unless you are goetting a smoking hot deal on the JL stuff, Zapco just might be a better deal, and the ARC stuff certainly sounds better.

Oh yeah, don't bother with a cap on any of the above mentioned amps, unless you already have it, or just want the looks. They are all so tightly regulated that the cap won't change a thing.

Luke

Closing SOON!

Comment

Working...
                      X