Help me pick new front speakers.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Help me pick new front speakers.

They're being powered by a PPI 600.4 surfboard er.. amp ;)

i've got two crossfire components in the back, up front i'd like to not deal with components, so if i could get the all in one speaker style, that'd be greaat

right now i have MBquart's up front but the P.O. blew the front left one, so it distorts at high volumes and with certain bass frequencies, while the front right one, doesn't.

so in short, i'd like some good, crisp all-in-one speakers, that can handle alot of bass and a fair amount of power.
    Who doesn't love a little BBQ?
    Griot's Garage at a Deep Discount

So are the MBQ's not enough? I mean, if one wasn't blown, would you still be asking the same question here? Which ones do you have?

Asking because I've been thinking about mbq's

Comment

Spencer, Quart has closed its german plant and is currently restructuring. As is Fosgate, the parent company. I expect the name will remain, but all manufacturing to go to some secret location in the pacific rim.
      If you like the sound of Quart (which I personally don't, but have them in the front of my car) check out Diamond, especially Hex series.
      I want to go back to Morel or Dynaudio, personally. I would even be OK with Peerless, but something danish.

Kruzen, you didn't mention a budget, but if you have the dough, check out Morel's integra series,. Phoenix sells a speaker made by Morel as the Xenon, which are convertible.
      HTH,
      Luke

Closing SOON!
      "LAST CHANCE FOR G.A.S." DEAL IS ON NOW

Luke AT germanaudiospecialties DOT com or text 425-761-6450, or for quickest answers, call me at the shop 360-669-0398

Thanks for 10 years of fun!

Comment

Originally posted by spencers
        So are the MBQ's not enough? I mean, if one wasn't blown, would you still be asking the same question here? Which ones do you have?

Asking because I've been thinking about mbq's
        i honestly have no fucking clue what i have, there were no real markings on the speakers that i could see without intruding too much (didn't wanna deal with it at the time of the rest of my install.. the front speakers already had wire running to the trunk, so i just did my own rear speaks/amp/headunit install and called it golden. )

they sound pretty good, and have good bass response which is what i like right now since i have no subwoofer.

i'd like something a bit clearer though, budget isn't really a *huge* issue, but i'd like to be spending less then around 100-150$ for the pair.. but if its a truly great speaker, i'm very flexible.

Comment

Originally posted by StereoInstaller1
          Spencer, Quart has closed its german plant and is currently restructuring. As is Fosgate, the parent company. I expect the name will remain, but all manufacturing to go to some secret location in the pacific rim.
          If you like the sound of Quart (which I personally don't, but have them in the front of my car) check out Diamond, especially Hex series.
          I want to go back to Morel or Dynaudio, personally. I would even be OK with Peerless, but something danish.

Kruzen, you didn't mention a budget, but if you have the dough, check out Morel's integra series,. Phoenix sells a speaker made by Morel as the Xenon, which are convertible.
          HTH,
          Luke
          i'll look into those, thanks.

Comment

HTH,
            Luke
            i hate to hijack this thread, but i think asking here would be better than making a new topic with the exact same title. what would be the best front components to buy for around $300? i have virtually no knowledge on how quality varies from brand to brand, but ive been reading up on infinity kappa's and mbquart pce-213's. i am hoping to be able to power them with 110w/channel.

Comment

HTH,
              Luke

just curious, says they take 100watts, and 250watts rms.

will be ppi be able to give me clean sound if i'm running these up front, as well as those cheap crossfire's in the rear? they are close to 100 watt rms iirc.

Comment

sorry for not returning to your question more quickly, Kruzen.

OK, before we get into the whole "which is better" debate, let me say I have found newbies to high performance audio generally aren't impressed with Morel.

If they say anything along the lines of "Dude, it sounds great, it cranks!" they most definately will NOT be impressed.

Thus I have the feeling you will be impressed

Loud is generally quite distorted, because we poor humans percieve distortion as loud.

Ultra high end speakers generally are quite low in distortion, we would hope. I can tell you that a "normal" quality speaker, such as we are used to hearing in a car stereo shop produce somewhere around 10% THD at very low volumes, like 80db. At a more common listening level, like 110db, most speakers are nearing 50%THD.

Typically, speakers like Morel are averaging about 5 to 7% THD at 120db.

Thus, speakers like Morel (Dynaudio, Settemilla, Raven, ScanSpeak, CeraTech) never ever seem loud. This can be quite decieving, since they can play very cleanly at extreme volumes.

However, they are merciless at showing up weak links in the audio chain. Crappy amps will sound crappier, noisy decks become unlistenable.

Also, when nearing their limits of SPL, they generally make really really ugly noises.

I hope my rambling has helped clear the air. I hope you get a chance to listen to them. If you have a hard time finding them, I will contact the sales manager for the US, I have his email address. Your local rep is an old aquantance of mine as well.
                Luke

Closing SOON!
                "LAST CHANCE FOR G.A.S." DEAL IS ON NOW

Luke AT germanaudiospecialties DOT com or text 425-761-6450, or for quickest answers, call me at the shop 360-669-0398

Thanks for 10 years of fun!

Comment

sorry for not returning to your question more quickly, Kruzen.

OK, before we get into the whole "which is better" debate, let me say I have found newbies to high performance audio generally aren't impressed with Morel.

If they say anything along the lines of "Dude, it sounds great, it cranks!" they most definately will NOT be impressed.

Thus I have the feeling you will be impressed

Loud is generally quite distorted, because we poor humans percieve distortion as loud.

Ultra high end speakers generally are quite low in distortion, we would hope. I can tell you that a "normal" quality speaker, such as we are used to hearing in a car stereo shop produce somewhere around 10% THD at very low volumes, like 80db. At a more common listening level, like 110db, most speakers are nearing 50%THD.

Typically, speakers like Morel are averaging about 5 to 7% THD at 120db.

Thus, speakers like Morel (Dynaudio, Settemilla, Raven, ScanSpeak, CeraTech) never ever seem loud. This can be quite decieving, since they can play very cleanly at extreme volumes.

However, they are merciless at showing up weak links in the audio chain. Crappy amps will sound crappier, noisy decks become unlistenable.

Also, when nearing their limits of SPL, they generally make really really ugly noises.

I hope my rambling has helped clear the air. I hope you get a chance to listen to them. If you have a hard time finding them, I will contact the sales manager for the US, I have his email address. Your local rep is an old aquantance of mine as well.
                  Luke
                  Sounds like just the type of speaker i'm looking for, just curious i don't think you covered it, what is SPL?

Is there any way i can find a local distributor at which i can hear them? or do i just have to wing it and buy/install/enjoy?

edit: also. this is the amp that i have. http://precisionpower.com/amps/dcx600-4.asp

if i got the morel's, would they still sound as excellent if i can only throw 75w (advertised on the webpage as 75x4@4ohms) to them? or would i be better off just running the two speakers up front with no rears, so my amp can run 300x2 @ 4ohms, thus being able to easily power both speakers? Or am i misunderstanding the way my amp works, and it can really throw 100w to them in 4 channel mode?

Comment

spl = sound pressure level
                    I retired my E30 for now...
                    E46 323i
                    David Schultz

Comment

Working...
                    X