Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Swapping Alpine head units - 16 pin plug already wired in

So I know very little about car audio.

My E30 has a head unit installed in the car, from a previous owner. It’s an aftermarket Alpine cassette player, and it has the 16 pin Alpine plug going into the back of the head unit.

If I buy a more modern Alpine head unit that also takes a 16 pin plug, can I just unplug the old unit and plug in the new one, and have it function....?

I don’t need anything fancy. Just a CD player with a USB input.

Thanks!

Check the wire colors on the old 16 pin vs the new one. If the wires are the same colors in the same pin locations you should be good to go. I think at one point I installed 3 updated Alpine head units without rewiring anything.
    e30sport.net
    '15 Porsche GT3 - 7-speed PDK - Daily Driver
    '86 325es - s54b32tu - 6-speed - Mtech 1
    '89 325is - m20b25 - 5-speed - Individual

Comment

Originally posted by BeirBrennerE30 View Post
      Check the wire colors on the old 16 pin vs the new one. If the wires are the same colors in the same pin locations you should be good to go. I think at one point I installed 3 updated Alpine head units without rewiring anything.
      Thank you! I did want to also ask, is there a difference between the white 16 pin plug and black 16 pin plug?

Comment

I doubt it if the both fit in the back of the unit. Again the most important part is that the same color wires are in the same locations of the 16pin plug.
        e30sport.net
        '15 Porsche GT3 - 7-speed PDK - Daily Driver
        '86 325es - s54b32tu - 6-speed - Mtech 1
        '89 325is - m20b25 - 5-speed - Individual

Comment

Working...
        X