Left Channel of stereo is broken?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Left Channel of stereo is broken?

I was out for a drive tonight and started messing with my fade/balance.

When i fade it all the way to the left (drivers side) my speakers play fine. BUT, it seems like I lose mid-tones. For example I was listening to some Tom Petty and when I fade it left, I get the high tones, the low tones and what seems like the mids.... but I lose all of his voice?!???? Fade it all right, and it works perfect.

It does this on both the front and rear speakers.
    Car has factory premuim speakers, connected (bypassed factory amp) to an Alpine CDA-9811.

Head Unit is ~1 year old maximum. The internal amp can't be fried right? Otherwise I wouldnt get any sound out of those speakers. The only other thing hooked up to the HU is a RF amp via the Sub pre-amp out's for my sub. One connection on the amp RCA for this sub is a little loose... but I cant see how that would correlate?

TIA gents.
    CL
    Below the radar...

Trent suggested I try swapping CD's to see if that helped. It did a little bit, but the left channel still seems much weaker??
    Below the radar...

Comment

I would think the culprits are the factory speakers.

Keep it slideways!!

Comment

Your left side 5.25 in the kick panel is prolly blown. Take it out and test it.

E30 ABS Pump Refurbishment Service
        https://mtechniqueauto.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Jordan
          Your left side 5.25 in the kick panel is prolly blown. Take it out and test it.
          A uniform loss of volume across both the front and rear?
          Below the radar...

Comment

I would check to be sure the factory amp was bypassed. I took my car to Circuit City a while back and they said they were bypassing the factory amp, but never did. Needless to say, my left channel was blown from the amp and I took it back and they rewired it for me, without the amp.

Comment

Originally posted by wanger
              I would check to be sure the factory amp was bypassed. I took my car to Circuit City a while back and they said they were bypassing the factory amp, but never did. Needless to say, my left channel was blown from the amp and I took it back and they rewired it for me, without the amp.
              I rewired the car myself. I know the amp is bypassed.
              I'll have the HU bench tested as its still under warranty. And if its not that... its a good excuse for an external amp and new speakers 8)
              Below the radar...

Comment

Working...
              X