How to: SI board delete on Eta while retaining gauge functionality

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How to: SI board delete on Eta while retaining gauge functionality

NOTE: that this delete will not work on 325i and M42 318 cars because their clusters have the tachometer/econometer functionality integrated into the SI board like the later Eta clusters. The process should be similar on 1984-1985 318i cars as they have the early production SI board set up.

For this delete you will need to acquire a working 1984-1985 Eta cluster (VDO cluster). The VDO cluster will swap right into a 1986+ Eta with the Motometer cluster and all instruments will function correctly (provided the cluster is functioning correctly). The 1986+ clusters have the tachometer/econometer functionality integrated into the SI board while the 84-85 clusters have the functionality on the tachometer/econometer themselves.This means that if anything goes bad on the board itself (aside from the batteries), the board will need to be refurbished if you want a working tach/econo. Sometimes, the board will be damaged to the point where refurbishing it will not work (i.e. obsolete and out-of-production semiconductors and transistors on the board go bad)

While all other gauges on the clusters should be interchangeable (I have run the VDO speedometer on my Motometer cluster and it worked fine), the tachometer/econometer assembly will not swap over between the two as the cluster PCB cutouts are different on the VDO and Motometer clusters.

Disassemble the cluster (not covered here for the sake of brevity) and jump pin holes 3 and 6 (pictured below) on the SI board pin holes on the instrument cluster PCB. I used some speaker wire I had lying around to do this. The temperature gauge on the 84-85 Eta cluster is grounded through the SI board using these pins.

Click image for larger version  Name:	SI jump.JPG Views:	0 Size:	52.8 KB ID:	9906005

That's it. Now reassemble your cluster, plug it back in, and enjoy all your gauges working again without that pesky SI board ever interfering with anything ever again :)
    Last edited by ZeKahr; 02-16-2020, 05:55 AM.
    1986 325e Schwarz (sold)
    1989 325iX Alpineweiß​ (daily)

Greed is Good

Damn this is pretty interesting, thanks for the share.

1992 M tech 2 Convertible - S50 Swap
    1992 e34 Touring- S50 Swap
    1992 325i-S50 Swap (SOLD)

1995 e36 M3 Mugello Red - S50 (SOLD)
    1991 325i Convertible Laguna Green (SOLD)
    1987 325i (SOLD);1992 M tech 2 Convertible (SOLD)
    1988 325i Convertible Alpine White (SOLD)
    Brilliantrot Convertible 80k Miles (SOLD)
    1992 325i Convertible Schwarz (SOLD)
    1992 318i Convertible Project-Finished (SOLD)

Comment

Working...
    X