Strange Cluster Issue....SI Batteries?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Strange Cluster Issue....SI Batteries?

I have an 89 325i coupe with a bad motometer cluster. The previous owner said it would quit working once and awhile, but it worked when I got the car. After a few days it quit working all together. The speed still reads accurately, but everything else was messed up. The gas gauge appears to work but reads incorrectly (wrong ohm gauge installed), the tach doesn't work at all, and the temp gauge reads full cold, until you whack the dash then it pegs on hot no matter what the actual engine temp is. Does this issue seem like an SI board battery problem, or something else?
    Budget E30 Parts - Used and Reconditioned parts for your BMW

at this point, what does it hurt to replace something that's probably bad (SI batteries).
    Usually that's all that's needed to fix this problem. Not sure why you wouldn't start with that?
    If it's got tits or tires, it's gonna cost ya!

Comment

Originally posted by Stanley Rockafella View Post
      at this point, what does it hurt to replace something that's probably bad (SI batteries).
      Usually that's all that's needed to fix this problem. Not sure why you wouldn't start with that?
      Because this car was totaled in the back, and I want to assess the state of the car before throwing money at it and start the pickup conversion.

Comment

That's just part of the joy of buying a wrecked car that's not running.
        That's also why wrecked cars are so cheap (because you can't test drive it/inspect it properly).

good luck!

Comment

That's just part of the joy of buying a wrecked car that's not running.
          That's also why wrecked cars are so cheap (because you can't test drive it/inspect it properly).

good luck!
          I actually bought it from a guy I know, and it runs and drives beautifully. Why the assumptions? There was nothing to inspect, I bought it for its drivetrain only, but then realized I could save it as a pickup truck and keep it alive for awhile. After selling a bunch of stuff off, I'm only in it $380 right now, and it still has a fully functioning 2.5 liter and manual trans. It also donated a Garagistic strut tower bar, X brace, and a full plastic front end conversion for my 86 sedan.

Comment

Originally posted by Andre3127 View Post
            I want to assess the state of the car before throwing money at it .
            I actually bought it from a guy I know, and it runs and drives beautifully. Why the assumptions? There was nothing to inspect
            Dude, you make no sense.
            Maybe you should lay off the drugs...mmmkkkay?

Comment

Double post.

Comment

Dude, you make no sense. Maybe you should lay off the drugs...mmmkkkay?
                If you would like a more accurate answer, It runs solid and drives straight but I'd like to assess the car in more detail and get an idea of repair costs before going through with the mini truck conversion.

Comment

If you would like a more accurate answer, It runs solid and drives straight but I'd like to assess the car in more detail and get an idea of repair costs before going through with the mini truck conversion.
                  From someone who's owned e30's for nearly 20 years, I gave you a "more accurate answer".
                  Instead of "whacking your cluster" try giving your head a few smacks. Maybe you'll be able to think a little more clearly.

Comment

From someone who's owned e30's for nearly 20 years, I gave you a "more accurate answer". If spending a small amount of time and money on some Si batteries is too much for you, maybe a nice Prius/Corolla is more your style.
                    I never said you were wrong. However, I was always taught to diagnose issues before throwing money at repairs. My issue doesnt seem like any SI board issue I have seen or heard about in the past. Thats why I asked this question. If it was simply a gauge not working I would just replace the battery, because that is a common issue caused by a failing or failed battery. For the record, I daily drive a 2009 Civic EX 5-speed. Fantastic cheap daily. It allows me to do long-term work to my project cars, like the ongoing almost full rebuild of my sedan.

Comment

Working...
                    X