Turn Stalk Faulty Wiring?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Turn Stalk Faulty Wiring?

Hey guys, having a wild ride trying to chase down this blinker issue. Ive opened up a turn stalk, cleaned everything, put it back together and still had this issue. I just want to verify that the issue is not in the turn stalk, if thats possible...

Left blinker works, hazards work. recently i pulled the turn stalk off, resoldered a connection, and the right blinker worked. it passed inspection. then it went back to blinking really fast and i havnt been able to bring it back.stalk pulled from parts car has same symptoms, this is the stalk i also rebuilt and still exhibited the same issues. I guess my right blinker is slightly dimmer than the rest when using the hazards? any ideas anyone?

It's possible that it may not be the stalk. I was having a similar issue where my left blinker would blink fast and was dimmer than the right with a brand new bulb. I followed the wiring diagram to trace the wires in the car and checked all the connections to find them good until I got to the blinker housing. The pins in the blinker housing were severely corroded. Ordered a used one from ebay (early model OE blinkers are pretty much NLA) that had clean pins and installed and haven't had any issues in about 6 months.
    1986 325e Pearl White on Grey Houndstooth 24x,xxx miles M30b35 Swapped
    2002 525i Jet Black on Sand Beige 13x,xxx miles
    "This 2.5 liter inline six cylinder is smoother than my silk Versace underwear." -Vehicle Virgins

Comment

will try this ASAP! i would really like the car to have brighter lights / indicators if im going to start dailying it. thanks ill report back with results

Comment

pulled front bumper and removed blinker, cleaned and reinstalled, plug basically disintegrated in my hand but after buttoning it all up it works! i guess there was no continuity to the blinker itself. what was most misleading is when i re-soldered a connection on the turn stalk and the blinker started working. I really thought the issue was going to be in the stalk (before i opened one up)

Comment

Awesome! I fought this for the longest time before I figured out that is what it was. Is it still dimmer than the other or did you get full brightness?

I have run into a similar issue with my wiper stalk. Wipers would always run working so I replaced stalk and they worked correctly for a week so I assumed it was the stalk. Turned out to be the harness shorted to the chassis causing the wipers to never turn off. It's so easy to get stuck on one thing when troubleshooting.
          1986 325e Pearl White on Grey Houndstooth 24x,xxx miles M30b35 Swapped
          2002 525i Jet Black on Sand Beige 13x,xxx miles
          "This 2.5 liter inline six cylinder is smoother than my silk Versace underwear." -Vehicle Virgins

Comment

ugh problem in the harness??? brutal.

thank you everyone for your responses.

Comment

Working...
            X