Heat shrink to build up rubber boot for electrical connector

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Heat shrink to build up rubber boot for electrical connector

So many good threads, figured I'd give back a little with something simple. This may have been done already but I didn't come across it when looking for solutions.

The problem was that my turn signal was hyper flashing. Upon inspection of the connector at the bumper, the damage was to the wires just behind the rubber boots that go into the plastic connector housing. The wire covering had cracked and the wire had turned black/green. Additionally, the connector housing pretty much crumbled into pieces as the plastic had dry rotted.

You can buy a new pigtail with the rubber boot to splice onto your factory wire; the kit costs about $35. However, I wanted to keep my factory wire colors near the connector and $35 seemed high to me. So instead, I bought new crimp on 2.5 mm connectors. The issue is I wouldn't have the rubber boot and you have to have the rubber boot because that is what makes a snug fit into the actual connector housing. To solve this issue, I just layered up heat shrink until I got the perfect fit into the connector housing.

1989 BMW 325ix, Virginia

That is certainly one way to do it. You could get insulated terminals of course, or in a more DIY capacity you could put it all together and fill the voids with "liquid electrical tape," or some sort of non-conductive epoxy.

Comment

Working...
    X