Stiffening the convertible chassis

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Stiffening the convertible chassis

Ever since I installed the stiff suspension on my car (Billy's+H&R's, Vorschlag camber/castor plates, IE 25/22mm sways, 17" tires, etc), the inherent flexibility of the e30 convertible chassis has become very apparent. Every bump I hit was felt as a wave quivering it's way through the chassis, shaking the whole thing. So earlier this month I decided to finally do something about it. I invested in a Mason Engineering from X-brace, and fabricated a custom rear brace to tie together the rear subframe studs. As several people have pointed out to me already, the subframe studs are already tied together...by the subframe! This is true, but those big rubber bushings mean that there is so much absorbtion of motion that any chassis flex is absorbed by them instead of being stymied by the subframe. It therefor does not do anything to actually prevent chassis flex.

First, this Mason brace is a work of art. It's beautiful, TIG welded by hand and made out of very stiff, very clean oval tubing. This means extra ground clearance, and it even clears my massive 25mm front sway bar:

The rear bar I made myself out of 1"x"0.058 4130 chromolly tubing. It's similar in concept to the 'butt-strut' that is so popular among Z3 roadster owners who are trying to get rid of their chassis flex as well. This was just a prototype really, there are a lot of improvements that can be made (such as the way the tubes join around the notch for the exhaust). When installed, the bottom of the brace sits 1.5" below the exhaust, so I lost that much ground clearance in the back. But I still have just over 4", so I think I'll be ok. We'll see.

The first drive after installing these was, simply, AMAZING.

FUCK. ME. AMAZING.

I might as well be driving a coupe! It killed 75% of any noticeable chassis shake and flex and even helped to reduce cowl shake. The whole car felt more planted and solid. Now when I hit a bump, I don't feel the whole car trembling and quivering around me. It's really incredible, I never thought a convertible could feel like this. I always assumed that I would be forced to live with this inherent downside of having no roof. But I'm happy to say, the condition is curable! I would highly, HIGHLY recommend the x-brace and butt-strutt to convertible owners who are looking for more performance, comfort or simply enjoyment out of their cars. And of course, less flex in the chassis means less chance for chassis fatigue and less rattles inside the cabin, two nice added bonuses :)

Enough posting, time to go out for another drive!! :)

The convertibles really get the biggest bang out of the Zen/Mason X brace, they never should have left the factory without one.
    I'm Not Right in the Head | Random Rants and other Nonsense1st Order Logic Failure: Association fallacy, this type of fallacy can be expressed as (∃xS : φ(x)) → (∀xS : φ(x)), meaning "if there exists any x in the set S so that a property φ is true for x, then for all x in S the property φ must be true".

Comment

Why not just have it follow the subframe instead of dropping down so much? Why not have it go over the exhaust instead?
      My 2.9L Build!

Originally posted by Ernest Hemingway
      There are only three sports: bullfighting, motor racing, and mountaineering; all the rest are merely games.

Comment

Originally posted by PiercedE30 View Post
        Why not just have it follow the subframe instead of dropping down so much? Why not have it go over the exhaust instead?
        There is very, very little room up there. I doubt it could be made to fit, and believe me I tried.

Comment

Originally posted by PiercedE30 View Post
          Kind of hard to get anything in across there, a real honest to god engineering nightmare.
          I'm Not Right in the Head | Random Rants and other Nonsense1st Order Logic Failure: Association fallacy, this type of fallacy can be expressed as (∃xS : φ(x)) → (∀xS : φ(x)), meaning "if there exists any x in the set S so that a property φ is true for x, then for all x in S the property φ must be true".

Comment

Originally posted by Liam View Post
            Kind of hard to get anything in across there, a real honest to god engineering nightmare.
            im sure you could suss out something

Comment

impressed--

I thinks I am going to invest in the X-brace.

I think my rear is solid with the poly sub-frame bushings.
              Last edited by OrganicMechanic; 04-25-2009, 07:29 PM.

join the E30 Cabrio owners gruppe
              click here for details

Comment

corvallis bmw
                I am in admiration at the bar you fabricated for rear lower beam double shear
                I admire the fact that some people do not whine or pretend that a structural problem does not exist , and have the intelligence to make something from nothing
                looks great good work JOHN MASON

Comment

I sell a brace like this for the Alfa spiders and it's a huge improvement. I can't imagine the E30 cabrio is as flimsy as the Alfas, but I'm sure its a huge improvement!
                  '88 528e /// '88 M5 /// '89 951 /// '98 E430 /// '02 M5

Comment

Darin you are my hero:up:
                    Your signature picture has been removed since it contained the Photobucket "upgrade your account" image.

Comment

Wow, if you catch that rear bar on anything you'll tear your rear subframe to shreds. Aside from that potential danger, looks good.
                      cars beep boop

Comment

I played around with it a bit more, running just the x-brace, and then just the rear. The x-brace certainly makes the biggest difference. It's just built more stout and because of it's strait-tube design, resists the transmission of forces better. The bends in my bar means it's not quite as stiff, but like I said, it's a prototype. Ideally I would like to re-make the bar with a series of long, large-radius bends instead of shorter, sharper bends (and get rid of the exhaust notch).

Comment

Nice work on the rear brace. I have the LCAB from Zen/Mason and I thought that this bar, coupled with a tower strut brace made a world of difference.

Comment

This looks just like the factory X-brace on my 96 328iC.

1988 325iC Project - FINISHED!
                            Build Thread: http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/show...ht=325iC+paint

Comment

Originally posted by bimmerboy12 View Post
                              This looks just like the factory X-brace on my 96 328iC.
                              Like I've said, I don't know why BMW let the e30s out of the factory without it.

Comment

Working...
                              X