DIY Search. Vert rear glass removal.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

DIY Search. Vert rear glass removal.

Searched DIY on R3V and Youtube. Anybody got knowledge on removing vert rear power widow regulator / glass. Trying to repalce driver side rear glass. Regulator works fine, just looking to replace the glass. I got all 4 13mm bolts out, everything is away from the body. Wires are disconnected. Regulator still has glass attached. I just cannot squeeze the glass/motor combo up and out. Am I missing something?

Any help would be appreciated. Refer me to a source or site. Thanks in advance for your help.

Peace.

................................................G. ............................................

So you're trying to get it out of the body panels and it won't come? You've pulled all the trim off the body right? If I recall it took a little finagling but it should come out ok. Where is it hanging up for you?
    '89 lachssilber vert - Frau Blücher
    '84 alpine 2dr - gone to the great beyond...
    '00 titanium 4dr e46 - bricked

Comment

All trim is off, all 4 13mm bolts that hold the regulator to the body are removed. The glass is still attached to the regulator. I'm trying to remove all in one piece. It's so loose it will fall back into the body cavity if I let go. I just cannot get that sucker out. I can rotate it left to right but it will not come up and out. Wtf...... I was out after dark with this thing.
      Any clues????

By the way. Thanks for the prompt response....G.

Comment

Did you unplug the motor?

I did mine a few years back so I don't remember exactly how to maneuver it. I seem to remember that the bottom part of the assembly seemed to get stuck near the top of the body, and it just needed to be slowly "squeezed" through. Just pull up harder. Same thing going back in.

I also had the glass and motor on the assembly when removing (be careful trying to remove the glass, I broke a torx drive in one of the screws it was so seized, and it's still in there, I just gave up as I just wanted to clean)

Comment

This link also indicates that the window must be all the way up before removal, not sure if that's helpful to you:

http://www.e30zone.net/e30zonewiki/i...b_rear_windows

Comment

Going back in after dinner today. Thanks bro. I will keep you updated.

Comment

Was looking to do the same thing with mine. Something is wrong with either the track or the motor but couldnt get the damn thing out.
              Swanny!
              SUCKERS.

Comment

Booooom! Done. Here's the scoop. The e30.zone link shows in the first photo 2 top 13mm bolts that need to be loosened to get the assembly out. These same bolts also adjust the window glass out or in according to what angle is needed to power the glass up and forward in the convertible top rubber track.

As mentioned, the top 2 bolts need to be loosened to pull the assembly up, then these same bolts need to be turned all the way tight AFTER pulling the assembly up from their notch. This is the only way to get the assmbly out without scratching something.

I did not disconnect my window motor at that time. I loosened all (4) 13mm bolts with the window down. Top 2, bottom 2. The link is correct that you have to have the window in the up position. After powering the window up, I disconnected the motor and lifted the whole assembly up and out in one piece.

You could easily change the regulator or whatever at this time. I just needed to change the glass. Glass is held in place with 2 10mm bolts, one on each corner and one 13mm bolt center bolt. Swapped out the glass, and dropped the assembly back in place still in the up position. Retorqued all bolts hand tight.

Once I read the e30zone link about the window being up to remove, it was cake.You will have to spend considerable time adjusting window up, down, in and out for a tight seal. Window adjustments took more time then getting the assembly out.

Good Luck. And shout out to SemBlance for his help.

Cheers.............................G.

Comment

Glad it worked!

Comment

Working...
                  X