X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

buying 1988 e30 325 vert advice

Hi guys,

i finally decided to get into bmw classics and pull the trigger on e30 vert

i found a nice example, black on red with 180,000 miles for asking price is $4k

outside is very well maintained, inside a bit worm but seats are in good condition. here are the list of BAD's

need your opinion

i looked at one car over the weekend and it has few issues:

1. Clutch pedal does not have any back pressure so is just lingers. (owner will repair, couldn't drive the car)

2. Driver lock is sideways and jammed (owner also said he is in the process of repairing)

3. torn drivers seat

4. really rusty headers

5. foggy rear window (is it possible to clean it or must be replaced?)

6. Cracked interior headlight

7. not functioning tachometer (owner said he will repair)

do you know what is the cost of the repair of these things

thanks a lot

Also, any general guidelines and things to watch out for would be greately appreciated.

from reading this forum here is what i have so far:

1. timing belt squeaking
    2. water pump replacement with timing belt every 30k
    3. tune up (done recently on the car mentioned above)
    4. throttle body leaks
    5. crank position sensor
    6. odometer functionality
    7. intake hose leaks

The more documented history the better. IMO the longer the current owner has owned it can be helpful as well, if they cared for it. Check for leaks in the engine bay, and look very good under the car with a flashlight. Look for trans and rear dif leaks as well. Check the battery tray, Up front under the hood for rust, and back in the rear under the antenna. The rear window can be replaced, and some people have done it themselves. My main concern out of your list is the clutch pedal. Depending on overall condition, price is a little high IMO. I bought one a few years ago that was originally a car from Cali, for about #1800. Prices have gone up since then though.

Comment

Originally posted by rcsoundn1 View Post
      The more documented history the better. IMO the longer the current owner has owned it can be helpful as well, if they cared for it. Check for leaks in the engine bay, and look very good under the car with a flashlight. Look for trans and rear dif leaks as well. Check the battery tray, Up front under the hood for rust, and back in the rear under the antenna. The rear window can be replaced, and some people have done it themselves. My main concern out of your list is the clutch pedal. Depending on overall condition, price is a little high IMO. I bought one a few years ago that was originally a car from Cali, for about #1800. Prices have gone up since then though.
      thanks a lot!

i agreed to meet again after he did these repairs and recheck everything.

do you know how costly is it to repair a seat that need stitching about 4 inches?

Comment

Originally posted by Bahn360Photo View Post
        thanks a lot!

i agreed to meet again after he did these repairs and recheck everything.

do you know how costly is it to repair a seat that need stitching about 4 inches?

Can not help with the seat issue
        But another thing i would add ,is after you get your timing belt and water pump. Do the valves and while you are at it do a compression test
        jot it down somewhere. Its a great base line for use down the road.
        enjoy your vert wife and I enjoy ours
        Directly above the center of the Earth

Comment

A lot of those "bads" are DIY jobs. They do add up, however. With that, the price seems high.

Check all around for rust; under the carpets look for water, the vert has front seals which are pricey and can let in a good amount of water.

Back window polishes nicely.

offer would depend on a road test.
          ACS S3 Build / Dinan 5 E34

Comment

Price sounds high. I live in Stamford Ct so if you need help with it my services are available for a small fee :)
            No antenna? I sell plugs!

Here: https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/sho...77#post4937877

Comment

That price is high. Should be more like 3k. But everything on that list is cheap to diy. The clutch pedal is easy to fix and not too expensive

As far as expensive stuff, seals like mentioned above are way way expensive. The front one alone is 200. The rear window will have to be replaced. Check for rust under the battery and under the car on the floor boards. Most importantly, do a car fax.

it's a Kenny Powers quote on wheels

Comment

thanks a lot guys! on my next visit i'll try to knock down the price as much as i can. i'm good DIY just wanted to get expert opinion so much appreciated

Comment

Originally posted by Nick's e30 View Post
                  Price sounds high. I live in Stamford Ct so if you need help with it my services are available for a small fee :)
                  will definitely be in touch when things work out! thanks a lot

Comment

Working...
                  X