Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Sympathy for those who Replaced their tops alone.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sympathy for those who Replaced their tops alone.

For all of you that Re-installed a new top on your verts alone ,
    How hard was it for you ?

I changed mine out and it was quite the task.
    how difficult was it for you ?
    Last edited by BECKSTER; 09-02-2015, 11:02 PM.
    1990 Alpine 325is
    1992 Schwarz 325ic (sold)

Haven't done it yet but getting ready. Looking for pointers

Comment

Originally posted by kenjj View Post
      Haven't done it yet but getting ready. Looking for pointers
      Make sure you get good glue, and be gentle when taking the old top off because things can break if your careless.
      Last edited by BECKSTER; 05-18-2016, 10:14 PM.
      1990 Alpine 325is

Comment

I did it myself in the middle of winter, i felt it's more tedious than difficult. it was a pretty straight forward task, i wish i would have read a DIY first haha. it took me a few hours a day for a few days, i was getting too cold after a few hours. if i had to do it again, i would have replaced the seals, adjust and paint the frame, and do it during a warmer season haha. then again, my mechanic skills have drastically increased since 3-4 years ago (in other words, i sucked back then, i'm decet now haha). not sure if i could've handled all that back then. even so, the new top looks straight, the tension straps work excellent. i'm happy :)

Comment

in for details. I have one with a new top, and one with an older top. Id love to do it myself

Comment

@ kenjj. Its about time....................LoL........Enjoy the forum.

Comment

if you want details:

this guy does pretty detailed job with a lot of pictures. the only other advice i can give is quadruple check the top is straight in the back and the front, maybe have an extra set of eyes verify it's straight too. once it's in there, you can't take it back out. it would be a pity if every time you walk up to the car and notice the crooked top haha.

Comment

or for anyone near northern NJ, i do these tops. i've done 29 e30 tops now and about 50 vert tops in all.
                my very first one took me quite a while and came out OK, but not perfect.
                it takes quite a bit of practice to get these tops to come out "perfect." there are a number of areas that are prone to bunching up, if it is the first time installing..

then there are all of the adjustments, the window adjustments, level adjustments, as well as the shims.. and that assumes that the bars are even strait on the top that you have on your car.

for anyone that is interested, here is my thread in the classifieds

Comment

Originally posted by master quon View Post
                  I did it myself in the middle of winter, i felt it's more tedious than difficult. it was a pretty straight forward task, i wish i would have read a DIY first haha. it took me a few hours a day for a few days, i was getting too cold after a few hours. if i had to do it again, i would have replaced the seals, adjust and paint the frame, and do it during a warmer season haha. then again, my mechanic skills have drastically increased since 3-4 years ago (in other words, i sucked back then, i'm decet now haha). not sure if i could've handled all that back then. even so, the new top looks straight, the tension straps work excellent. i'm happy :)

I did mine during winter to.
                  Tedious is a good word to describe the process, haha.
                  Last edited by BECKSTER; 05-18-2016, 10:15 PM.
                  1990 Alpine 325is

Comment

Working...
                  X