Hardtop vinyl reattachment

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hardtop vinyl reattachment

Have a couple of spots on my hardtop where the vinyl is loose. Anyone successfully re-glue their vinyl?
    sigpic
    2007 X3
    1992 M Tech Cabrio
    1988 Cabrio - sold
    2001 X5 - sold
    1997 e36 328 - gave to son

at the scallop behind the rear quarter window? they all pretty much do that when exposed to hot temps for any period of time. mine is loose there a bit too. someone posted here that they tried using a heat gun. i remember reading that they melted the vinyl a bit. i can't imagine how that would possibly work anyway. the material is under tension and wants to be flat.

i was thinking about taking the top off the car, setting it on its side, getting a syringe, filling it with some kind of adhesive, and injecting it in the area. i think one would need to make a mold that conforms to that area of the top and clamp it there for a few hours while it dries.
    sigpic
    Gigitty Gigitty!!!!

88 cabrio becoming alpina b6 3.5s transplanted s62
    92 Mtech 2 cabrio alpinweiss 770 code
    88 325ix coupe manual lachsilber/cardinal
    88 325ix coupe manual diamondschwartz/natur
    87 e30 m3 for parts lachsilber/cardinal(serial number 7)
    12 135i M sport cabrio grey/black

Comment

mine is loose at the driver's corner near the mounting pin. Easy access just don't know if there is a particular product that others have tried successfully.
      sigpic
      2007 X3
      1992 M Tech Cabrio
      1988 Cabrio - sold
      2001 X5 - sold

Comment

Originally posted by flyboyx View Post
        at the scallop behind the rear quarter window? they all pretty much do that when exposed to hot temps for any period of time. mine is loose there a bit too. someone posted here that they tried using a heat gun. i remember reading that they melted the vinyl a bit. i can't imagine how that would possibly work anyway. the material is under tension and wants to be flat.

i was thinking about taking the top off the car, setting it on its side, getting a syringe, filling it with some kind of adhesive, and injecting it in the area. i think one would need to make a mold that conforms to that area of the top and clamp it there for a few hours while it dries.
        That was me. I used the heat gun to soften up the material so I can get it to fit those contoured side areas. It worked good but I left heat gun pointed at a section to long as I ran the putty knife on the material. I saw that Napa and Advance Auto sells a syringe filled with glue. I never bought it. I have tried contact cement and heavy duty 3m spray. Neither worked for me.

I have been looking for some fabric to redo mine.
        Last edited by GT BMW E30; 10-06-2015, 08:15 PM.

Comment

At this point, you might be better off painting it your body color.
          sigpic
          Gigitty Gigitty!!!!

88 cabrio becoming alpina b6 3.5s transplanted s62
          92 Mtech 2 cabrio alpinweiss 770 code
          88 325ix coupe manual lachsilber/cardinal
          88 325ix coupe manual diamondschwartz/natur
          87 e30 m3 for parts lachsilber/cardinal(serial number 7)
          12 135i M sport cabrio grey/black

Comment

The syringe filled with glue sounds like a good idea. My top isn't too bad yet so I'm going to hold off until either someone else tries it first or my top gets a lot worse.

Comment

The problem is that your trying to re-glue an area that can't be cleaned, and throwing glue on top of old glue that's already compromised.
              Last edited by DRTSRFR; 10-07-2015, 09:13 AM.
              Suspension tips here...
              http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/album.php?albumid=757

sigpic

Comment

I can clean the area where my vinyl is loose so I am assuming that any glue for vinyl would work?
                sigpic
                2007 X3
                1992 M Tech Cabrio
                1988 Cabrio - sold
                2001 X5 - sold

Comment

It will as long as the surfaces are clean.
                  I use 3m vinyl top adhesive. I believe it has better resistance to heat.

My experience isn't from doing the top covering itself. I had a saggy headliner, and attempted to glue it a few times with little success. I finally pulled up one side and took a stiff brush to the inside of the top which removed most of the old glue, blew it out with compressed air and re-attached. It's been holding strong for 3 years now.
                  Suspension tips here...
                  http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/album.php?albumid=757

sigpic

Comment

I'm planning on taking mine off and color matching it also. If possible, I'll try and save the vinyl when I do it, in case any of you want a new piece. But as other people already stated, mine is not bonded around the scalloped edges anymore either.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

Comment

What do you guys think about recovering hardtop in same material as softtop?

Comment

Working...
                      X