Battery relocation experience

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Battery relocation experience

So I have moved the battery in my 89 to the back so this is what I can report regarding the effect on my car: I ran factory coupe cables to the back and put a slightly lighter (by about 10 I0lbs.) Interstate battery back there. I also have a 60lb. Luke box and amp as well. With my car there is some cowl shake at around 50 or 60 mph but suprisingly little at say 75. I also have an X brace up front. If I had to do it over I might keep the vibration damper in back and run a lighter racing type battery in the stock location with just a seperate power cable to the amp.
    On the other hand, I may keep my set up and run an even lighter battery in the trunk. Too many choices.

Anyone else have battery relocation stories to share?
    Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience. -Mark Twain

i relocated the battery in one of my verts. it is somewhat a pain in the ass but probably worth it depending on the use of your car.

i HIGHLY doubt the "cowl shake" you speak of above is due to removing the weight from the trunk. i believe the chunk of cast iron is there to improve weight distribution. more than likely you have a driveline vibration that you should look into.
    sigpic
    Gigitty Gigitty!!!!

88 cabrio becoming alpina b6 3.5s transplanted s62
    92 Mtech 2 cabrio alpinweiss 770 code
    88 325ix coupe manual lachsilber/cardinal
    88 325ix coupe manual diamondschwartz/natur
    87 e30 m3 for parts lachsilber/cardinal(serial number 7)
    12 135i M sport cabrio grey/black

Comment

I have a rebuilt driveshaft and new CSB with correct preload and the angle looks good. I used to have some driveline vibration and struggled to diagnose it before I changed the DS. The old DS had sticking joints. I may have to be be a bit more specific as to under what conditions I feel the "shake". It is not violent or anything but I am aware that I am driving a vert. I just think having my battery back there doesn't conrol NVH (presumably related to torsional twisting) as well as the factory damper.
      Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience. -Mark Twain

Comment

I had shake when I took the weight out and an empty trunk, but the battery still in the front. Then when I would load up the trunk, the shake went away. I believe the lead weight in the back weighs more than the battery does, therefore would eliminate more of the shake than a battery. But you can help it by putting stuff in the trunk

it's a Kenny Powers quote on wheels

Comment

this still is a miff to me.

Comment

I've heard people say the coupe battery cable comes up short in a vert. Was that your experience? How did you route it?

Originally posted by Bearmw View Post
            So I have moved the battery in my 89 to the back so this is what I can report regarding the effect on my car: I ran factory coupe cables to the back and put a slightly lighter (by about 10 I0lbs.) Interstate battery back there. I also have a 60lb. Luke box and amp as well. With my car there is some cowl shake at around 50 or 60 mph but suprisingly little at say 75. I also have an X brace up front. If I had to do it over I might keep the vibration damper in back and run a lighter racing type battery in the stock location with just a seperate power cable to the amp.
            On the other hand, I may keep my set up and run an even lighter battery in the trunk. Too many choices.

Anyone else have battery relocation stories to share?
            sigpic
            January 2012 COTM

Comment

I think I routed mine in the groove in the reinforced rocker area. The cable then comes up right behind the front speaker and up through the firewall where there is an existing hole. At least I don't remember drilling one. It was a tight but secure fit. I just had to make super sure any possible pinching or chafing spots were addressed and there were a few.

Comment

Working...
              X