Sway Bar Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sway Bar Question

Does anyone know why the Cabrio's come with a larger front sway bar (21mm) than the coupe or the sedan (20mm)?
    Mike
    Cary, NC
    Current Rides
    1991 325iC - For Sale
    2006 M3 Cabriolet
    Past Rides
    2000 323i Touring - Daily Driver
    1994 325is (S50) - Fast Car
    1998 Z3 - Fun Car
    1986 325e (i engine conversion)
    1969 Mustang Mach 1

If you had a box without a top, and a box with a top, which one would twist more? Larger sway bar means more rigidity. You sacrifice that when you don't have a hard top.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

They did everything they could to give the car better rigidity than a block of velveeta cheese. 21mm is a good amount more rigid than 20mm. (21^4)/(20^4) The rear could use a stiffer sway, makes the ass end kick out more. Verts don't really need rear strut bars since the box the top folds into is strong, but a front strut bar would be of greatest significance on a vert.
      Jah bless! :pimp:

Comment

these responses are curious...I never considered that the sway bar contributed to chassis rigidity...are you guys sure about this explanation?
        Mike
        Cary, NC
        Current Rides
        1991 325iC - For Sale
        2006 M3 Cabriolet
        Past Rides
        1998 Z3 - Fun Car
        1969 Mustang Mach 1

Comment

My (completely uninformed?) opinion, I don't think the sway contributes to chassis rigidity. But I think the stiffer sway helps to combat the additional flex in the convertible chassis.

Also, my first car was a 1966 289 Mustang, but I wanted a 1969 mach 1.
          Last edited by Mwishlist; 02-22-2016, 03:01 PM.
          Thank god, R3V was getting boring since the ginger kid wrecked his car. - Stonea

Comment

It's for roll but roll allows more twisting to occur. the weight ends up more disproportionally distributed with softer sways than with beefy sways.

Comment

I gotta proof read more often. Just get 22mm front and 19mm rear sways with a front strut bar and if you still have cash a cross brace like ejknights will also make the car handle better.

Comment

Sway bars do nothing for chassis rigidity. Fact.

It has to do with where the weight is on convertibles, and making up for the difference in chassis rigidity by meddling with the suspension setup.

M Technic convertibles came with the stock convertible front bar, and the M3 14.5mm rear bar. Springs, different dampers and bumpstops as well. That sway configuration is a good place to start if you're looking for a stock upgrade.
                Drive it hard. Maintain it well.

Convertible Technical & Discussion
                A Topless Memorandum

Comment

Originally posted by mr2peak View Post
                  Sway bars do nothing for chassis rigidity. Fact.

It has to do with where the weight is on convertibles, and making up for the difference in chassis rigidity by meddling with the suspension setup.

M Technic convertibles came with the stock convertible front bar, and the M3 14.5mm rear bar. Springs, different dampers and bumpstops as well. That sway configuration is a good place to start if you're looking for a stock upgrade.
                  Thanks mrpeak - your reply makes good sense.

The reason for my ask is because I am finishing my winter suspension & brake refresh. The new setup for my 1991 Cabriolet is, H&R sport springs with Bilstein Sport struts and shocks. I have replaced the control arm bushings, the rear subframe mounts, trailing arm bushings and the differential carrier all with poly. I have installed the M3 (14mm) rear sway bar. I have moved the front sway bar attachment point from the control arms to the front strut housings. Now the dilemma - I have both an M3 (19mm) front and my stock Cabrio (21mm) front sway bar available ready to install.

Your thoughts?
                  Last edited by mikerob97; 02-24-2016, 08:03 AM.
                  Mike
                  Cary, NC
                  Current Rides
                  1991 325iC - For Sale
                  2006 M3 Cabriolet
                  Past Rides
                  1998 Z3 - Fun Car
                  1969 Mustang Mach 1

Comment

Drive it, push it to the limit. Get in a fast corner with neutral power, and try adding gas. Same thing, but lift this time. Do it in a large parking lot with plenty of room to spin.

You need to test and tune, everything else is just a guess. I'd personally start with the lighter bar.

A Topless Memorandum

Comment

Thanks for the input. I will start with the M3 (19mm) bar up front and see how it drives. Look for significant understeer or oversteer...and then adjust with the larger front bar accordingly...
                      Mike
                      Cary, NC
                      Current Rides
                      1991 325iC - For Sale
                      2006 M3 Cabriolet
                      Past Rides
                      1998 Z3 - Fun Car
                      1969 Mustang Mach 1

Comment

Originally posted by Mwishlist View Post
                        My (completely uninformed?) opinion, I don't think the sway contributes to chassis rigidity. But I think the stiffer sway helps to combat the additional flex in the convertible chassis.

Also, my first car was a 1966 289 Mustang, but I wanted a 1969 mach 1.
                        I sure miss the mach1...nothing quite like a built 351W with a Ford Toploader (4 speed) behind it and a 3.5:1 traction-loc rear end...
                        Mike
                        Cary, NC
                        Current Rides
                        1991 325iC - For Sale
                        2006 M3 Cabriolet
                        Past Rides
                        1998 Z3 - Fun Car
                        1969 Mustang Mach 1

Comment

Originally posted by mikerob97 View Post
                          I sure miss the mach1...nothing quite like a built 351W with a Ford Toploader (4 speed) behind it and a 3.5:1 traction-loc rear end...
                          Yep, my brother had one growing up. I loved that car!
                          Thank god, R3V was getting boring since the ginger kid wrecked his car. - Stonea

Comment

Originally posted by mikerob97 View Post
                            Thanks for the input. I will start with the M3 (19mm) bar up front and see how it drives. Look for significant understeer or oversteer...and then adjust with the larger front bar accordingly...
                            Nope, M3 bar in the rear. Cabrio has a larger front bar already

A Topless Memorandum

Comment

Originally posted by mr2peak View Post
                              Nope, M3 bar in the rear. Cabrio has a larger front bar already
                              I already have installed the M3 14mm sway bar in the rear and will now be installing the M3 19mm sway bar in the front using the strut mounted attachment points.
                              Mike
                              Cary, NC
                              Current Rides
                              1991 325iC - For Sale
                              2006 M3 Cabriolet
                              Past Rides
                              1998 Z3 - Fun Car
                              1969 Mustang Mach 1

Comment