Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

top adjustment over windows..if no solution, any1 know a GOOD Chicago area installer?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

top adjustment over windows..if no solution, any1 know a GOOD Chicago area installer?

OK, here is the situation:
    1987ic, new top (as of last fall, never folded down), ALL new seals - on the top (front header, rear, over the windows) and front of door itself (the one that is part of the front window guide), even the seals at the top corners of the header (all in was friggin expensive!)
    I've adjusted the windows, but they actually need to be raised in the front, as there is an open gap and the rear edge of the window will hit the top if it raised to where it is needed
    Adjusting the "c pillar" recessed 5mm screw moves the bar it is attached to inside the top, but does nothing for the gap
    Measuring the top with a steel bar as in the BMW install video, the rear and front mounting bracket studs are within 2mm of the specs (the front was a PITA to measure with the top bolted in, the rear bolts are accurately measured)

I bought some shims for the rear bracket, but is there another way? I'm at the end of my options...I looked at every page of this forum, YouTube and online searched and have not seen any fine tuning adjustments which address my issue. I need to reinstall my interior as part of my interior resto!

(ignore the "puckers" in the front of the top, the installers were not detail oriented, to say the least

I haven't tried it yet, and I have the same issue as you currently. There was an old post that spoke about going to Home Depot and getting some thin adhesive-backed weather stripping. You place this on the top mechanism just above where the window hits the top. This pushes the top up just enough from the inside to clear the window and actually reduces the stress on the top from the frame at the same time. It just adds a few mm of boost, but I hear it's enough.
    Current - 1991 E30 325i Auto Vert, 2013 F30 335i M-sport, 2014 F25 X3 M-sport
    Past - 1986 E30 325es, 1988 E30 M3, 1991 E34 535i 5sp, 1991 E31 850i 6sp, 1992 E36 325i, 1995 E36 M3, 2000 E46 323i, 2009 E60 535i, 2011 E90 335d

Comment

interesting. I'll have to look at the top mech at this area... You'd think that there would be a better way.

Comment

Working...
      X