Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

E30 manual top operation troubles!

Hope all is going well!

I'm running into an issue with a convertible I just purchased. Among other things, the operation of the top isn't working at the moment. When I pull the handle behind the driver's seat, I hear some clicks but am unable to lift up the storage lid. I took the molding off around that handle and unscrewed the handle to see if the cables were connected to it in the back. They appear to be both connected to the handle. While trying to disassemble the handle of COURSE it snapped in half and a new one is on the way.

Where do I start in remedying this issue?

Gotta ask the basic question: Do you know there is a safety catch you need to also activate to open the tonneau cover?
    it is under the cover, on drivers side. Just slide your finger under the cover and you will find it. Basically just above the handle for the main latch.
    Just like the hood on every vehicle.

Comment

I had a similar issue when I first got my convertible. Ultimately I was able to use a screwdriver at the latches and trip them open. Once I had the tonneau cover open I lubed and tightened the tension on the cables. They had apparently stretched a bit over the years.

The E30 collection:
      1987 325es M52 - Schwarz / Taurus Red Sport (son #2's)
      1987 325is - Delphin / Black Sport (son #3's)
      1987 325i Convertible - Triple Black
      1989 325iX Coupe - Diamondschwarz / Black Comfort
      1990 325iX Coupe - Sterling Silver / Grey Sport

1981 Fiat 124 Spider 2000 - Green / Tan
      1998 Volvo V70 GLT - White / Tan
      1998 Volvo S70 T5 manual - White / Taupe
      2001 Ford Windstar - Silver / Grey (parts hauler)
      2006 Lexus GX470 - White / Tan (tow rig)

Comment

Worst case, you can remove the back seat and access the bolts that fasten the locks and safety latches.
        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Sm_simpson View Post
          Gotta ask the basic question: Do you know there is a safety catch you need to also activate to open the tonneau cover?
          it is under the cover, on drivers side. Just slide your finger under the cover and you will find it. Basically just above the handle for the main latch.
          Just like the hood on every vehicle.
          I'm ready to look stupid. I complicated a very simple thing haha you were right it was that catch that was there. Thanks a ton.

Comment

Originally posted by 101 View Post
            I had a similar issue when I first got my convertible. Ultimately I was able to use a screwdriver at the latches and trip them open. Once I had the tonneau cover open I lubed and tightened the tension on the cables. They had apparently stretched a bit over the years.
            i'm actually just a mongoloid - I was unaware there was a secondary latch to release.

Comment

Working...
            X