Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mastrcruse
    replied
    Can someone take pics of the marks? The only thing that scares me about this job is getting it placed right. The motor needs to be in TDC to complete the tb right? How do I ensure it stays in TDC?

Leave a comment:

• e30pdee
    replied
    nevermind problem solved! there's a little hole in the harmonic balancer offsetting all the other holes that tells you its exact position when you took it off, so you can put it back on correctly!

Leave a comment:

• e30pdee
    replied
    help! okay i took the harmonic balacer off without marking anything! how can i get it back on and aligned properly, im having a mini panic attack right now.... what do i do?

Leave a comment:

• e30moneypit
    replied
    Originally posted by amcink View Post
    My camshaft sprocket does not have the notch in order to align it with the TDC mark on the head.
    I'm stuck since i also took out the crankshaft pulley and the lower timing belt cover so i cannot locate the TDC.
    Should i just reinstalled everything and then try to find the TDC for the crankshaft and camshaft.
    I also forgot to mention that i have not taken the sparkplugs out; therefore cannot turn the camshaft sprocket or crankshaft
    Here it is the camshaft sprocket and camshaft area.

they cam sprocket and crank both have marks they are just super filthy!!!! Clean them up they are there. It is there on all cars your car is no exception.

On the cam sprocket you will see a 1/4 inch arrow on the inside and you will notice on eof the teeth is notched close to the head tdc mark.

the crank wheel same thing its there just not as deeply notched as an I........ just clean.....

Leave a comment:

• amcink
    replied
    Need major help i'm stuck

My camshaft sprocket does not have the notch in order to align it with the TDC mark on the head.
    I'm stuck since i also took out the crankshaft pulley and the lower timing belt cover so i cannot locate the TDC.
    Should i just reinstalled everything and then try to find the TDC for the crankshaft and camshaft.
    I also forgot to mention that i have not taken the sparkplugs out; therefore cannot turn the camshaft sprocket or crankshaft
    Here it is the camshaft sprocket and camshaft area.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by amcink; 04-30-2012, 09:43 PM.

Leave a comment:

• agent
    replied
    Why is this still not a sticky?! The OP went to the trouble not only to write it, but also to host all the pics for it somewhere that hasn't been cut off for maxing out the bandwidth restrictions.

Surely a post that's been up for 2+ years with this many hits and no broken images is deserving.

Leave a comment:

• Vspec
    replied
    Originally posted by 5Toes View Post
    Yup use black RTV and lay a thin bead, then with a glove smooth it out
    Between pump and gasket or gasket and block?

Leave a comment:

• GOT8SPD
    replied
    Originally posted by Tico Frank View Post
    In the process of changing the belt I found out that the timing was off by 1 tooth so either the belt slipped from being so old or someone set it a tooth off. The car ran pretty good before but is alot smoother now. I'll post pics of how the timing was in the morning.

Edit: Just do the cam seal while you are at it. It took no more than an extra 15 minutes MAX and cost 2 bucks or so.
    This is what i'm worried about most...how do you know if your timing is correct besides how the car runs? Is there anything else that must be hooked up in a precise manner? (ie, this part has to line up to this part).

Do you have a part number on the cam seal? Thanks!

Leave a comment:

• 5Toes
    replied
    Yup use black RTV and lay a thin bead, then with a glove smooth it out

Leave a comment:

• CabbE30
    replied
    I just did all this and now I have a leak at the bottom of the water pump. Im assuming I have to pull it all apart again just to put some sealant on there?

Leave a comment:

• ohthejosh
    replied
    In step 14 can someone highlight or circle the 3 bolts im suppose to loosen? I got confused and loosened the pulley bolts

Thanks

Leave a comment:

• Thizzelle
    replied
    I did it fine, car started up perfect and bleed the coolant. I used other sites tho with more detailed info.

Leave a comment:

• 91greg325i
    replied
    Originally posted by Thizzelle View Post
    this diy needs a redo not as informative as it should be. No torque specs or anything about changing cam shaft seal which you would do as your there. Also no info about TDC this diy sucks and I'm sad because it's from r3v. Which is always the place to go. I had to use other sites :'(
    Honestly if you can't replace your timing belt and water pump using this DIY like the people in the 9 pages before you have, you may want to take it to a professional.

This DIY does not cover the cam seal. People can choose to replace it or not. I didn't need to replace it, so I chose not to cover it in my write-up.

Step 29 refers to assuring proper alignment (you don't have to be at TDC, they just have to be aligned correctly) so maybe you didn't read that far...

Good luck with the project, sorry you didn't find my write-up adequate.

Leave a comment:

• Thizzelle
    replied
    this diy needs a redo not as informative as it should be. No torque specs or anything about changing cam shaft seal which you would do as your there. Also no info about TDC this diy sucks and I'm sad because it's from r3v. Which is always the place to go. I had to use other sites :'(

Leave a comment:

• worangejuice
    replied
    Originally posted by Kommando View Post
    Pretty much, you may not have to remove the hood, that makes it easier to access for the later steps.
    Plus youre car will look MADMAX badass with the hood mounts looking like turrets

Leave a comment:

Working...
X