Now not getting any spark?? Got my rpm fixed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Now not getting any spark?? Got my rpm fixed

So I figured out one issue now on to the next issue. Now that I have a rpm signal, my injectors are working fine but I'm not getting any spark out of my coil. The primary resistance is 2.1 ohms, I felt like that is a little low but I don't have a new coil to test (this coil I have I bought brand new a few years back). Where do I need to go in tuner studio to see the signal input/ wave to try to diag this?? First time tuner here...

I'll be putting up some msq and pictures when I can

Comment

And I did a output test and still had nothing

Comment

What exactly is your wiring setup, at least in terms of ignition?

Comment

Originally posted by JehTehsus View Post
          What exactly is your wiring setup, at least in terms of ignition?
          Factory ignition, so :
          *stock VR sensor on distributor going to pins 1 and 24 (had wiring backwards at first and had no rpm signal, the swapped them and got rpm)
          *single bosch coil with 12V and negative connected to pin 36
          *coil secondary feeds distributor
          *pre-assembled MS2 w/ V3.57 board and 3.4.4 firmware

Comment

In another post it sounded like you had an oscilloscope. Did you scope the spark output? I've destroyed ignition drivers before, it would be good to check that and coil grounds
            '84 318i M10B18 147- Safari Beige
            NA: 93whp/90ftlbs, MS2E w/ LC, 2-Step
            Turbo: 221whp/214ftlbs, MS3x flex @ 17psi

Comment

Don't have a O-scope just did the output test from the tuner studio. Coil ground is just threw ms2, and wiring is good. Grounds everywhere else are good on the ms2. I do have a old analog multi-meter I might try... what would I have done to possibly destroy the driver?

Comment

do you have a high-current driver? the BIP373 or similar? Look at Q16 slot on the board and see what transistor you have there. It should be a VB921 or BIP373.

edit: also make sure you have 12V at the coil with ign on run and start.

Comment

I know I have 12v at the coil I made sure of that at the beginning, sorry should of stated that. But the transistor idk...I got the ms2 pre-built from diyautotune and their website says they are assembled with the "high current" coil driver. But I'll double check. It is the V3.57 board and this is the board info. In the middle says it's hard connected in
                  Attached Files
                  Last edited by Whit3 E30; 06-07-2021, 09:32 AM.

Comment

yeah, you should have the right transistor, but just gotta make sure it's not burnt up. The trace can also get damaged, so you can also use your multimeter to check for continuity from the coil ground coil to the megasquirt transistor leg. I assume you have already checked for continuity from the coil ground to pin 36 at the megasquirt side of the harness.

I believe I have killed a driver by swapping ground/12v on the coil.(hard to do on the stock wire harness, so you probably didn't do that) I'm sure ESD could also kill the driver if you touched the coil while it was hooked up, for example. It's really about eliminating it from the troubleshooting step.

Also with regard to testing output, I assume you are also testing from the coil, not the dizzy. The distributor would of course need to be in correct time in order to pass a spark to plug wire

Comment

Yep checked harness, definitely didn't swap 12v on coil, n coil was never powered when wiring everything up, n ms2 was never connected to harness until all my wiring was done an triple checked. Yes I am checking straight from coil not dizzy. Did a manual discharge on coil an coil fires correctly with strong spark, so coil is not problem. So must b my ignition tune setup/ information or the driver is fried.....hopefully it's just the setup

Found MY fucking problem.......... there is nothing in Q16
                      Last edited by Whit3 E30; 06-07-2021, 05:40 PM.

Comment

See
                        Attached Files

Comment

but now I have fixed that problem, I had a bip373 from a ms1 build I did way back years ago and I installed a 330 ohm resister in the jumper wire from js10 to IGBTIN. I still get no spark from my coil .... I go into my tune and In the ignition spark output drop down tab I don't have a option for "going high inverted". Or am I misunderstanding something?

Feel like a idiot for trying it with the resistor, miss read the info... took it off and everything worked great 👍... thank you thank you thank you jaxx
                          Last edited by Whit3 E30; 06-08-2021, 08:26 PM.

Comment

Working...
                          X