Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

MS for EDIS and O2 only?

So I'm completely new to the MS deal.

I was planning on running the Megajolt for the carb build, but found that it will only read the 32-1 wheel and Ford sensor. I understand there's a newer version of MJ that will read the 60-2 wheel found on the E30, but it's a long way off.

Can I set up a megasquirt to run the ignition only (EDIS) and throw in a wideband 02 sensor (for later help with carb tuning)? Where would I look to even begin considering building my own setup?

Am in need of much education.
    ADAMS Autosport

If you are going to run carbs, I don't see why not. You just wont have any electronic fuel control, but the timing control and the o2 pickup will still be there. I wouldn't run EDIS though, just a straight wasted spark setup. You could use the factory harness too to simplify things, just don't connect the fuel injector harness. Unless you are going for that domestic 3 wire engine bay wire harness.

Why carbs? just because?

Derek

All-Red/MHW style Professional Tinted Tail lights
    PnP EMS, fuel injectors, wideband o2 systems

Comment

Thanks for the info.. If I understand it correctly the EDIS is a sublet of "wasted spark", just unsure of how it differs.

This guys ran off of the flywheel, http://forums.hybridz.org/index.php/...ition-no-edis/ . Not sure what I should look for as far as coil packs.

Carbs are because the M20 is going into my 2002 and looking to retain some of the nostalgia.
      ADAMS Autosport

Comment

Technically EDIS is any type of electronic distributorless ignition system; However, the acronym EDIS is usually referring to ford EDIS system, which requires specific components unrelated to megasquirt (though it can be used with megasquirt). For instance, megasquirt has the ability to control an EDIS module, which in-turn controls a coil pack (usually they are mounted together) to make a complete system. Problem with this setup is the ford EDIS module requires a 36-1 tooth wheel and sensors set at the correct crank angle or it is not very happy.

By using megasquirt to directly control a wasted spark coil pack, you can use any wheel at your disposal- in your case a 60-2 wheel. You don't have to use a control module, instead you will use a set of ignitors during your megasquirt install, which come in many different forms; wire-in modules, individual transistors, even OE type coil ignitors to name a few. http://www.msextra.com you will find everything you need to know, there.

All-Red/MHW style Professional Tinted Tail lights
        PnP EMS, fuel injectors, wideband o2 systems

Comment

Thanks for taking the time to reply. I frankly didn't know where to start but this was exactly what I was looking for.
          ADAMS Autosport

Comment

Working...
          X