Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Engine Management Basics

Originally posted by pantelones View Post
    I am starting to learn about engine management and thought it would be a good idea to share what I am learning.
    So, to simply put it, this is not something that is easy to comprehend. I took a few steps back and started at the "source" of the Reason. The Reason being the need for the management, and how and why you would manipulate it.

If you have a couple of hours to kill watch these...

They (for me) explain mapping and were a great engine dynamics refresh.

.................................................. .................................................. ....

I am starting to learn about engine management and thought it would be a good idea to share what I am learning.

My first step is to learn the functions of all the sensors that are going to be used by the stand alone unit.

(Picture 1.3 Motronic ECU pinout or what ever you are using)

*Read this* http://www.enginelogics.com/ecu.html

I started with Knock Sensors….

After reading about what the sensor was for, and what type of sensor it was, I needed to under stand what Knock or “detonation” is.

Then I wanted to hear what it actually sounded like...

Detonation is that “rattle can” sound you hear during the pull, and that sound is what creates the high frequency which your Knock sensor reads.

Done.

Feel free to add to the list.

P.S. If some has a pin-out of the m20's, and m50/2's that would be great to share. I don’t have time to find it right now.
    Last edited by pantelones; 04-03-2012, 09:15 PM.
    sigpic

A man chooses, a slave obeys... Would you kindly?

Detonation sound clip is awesome, thanks!
    '89 335is +turbo

Comment

That is hard core rattling. I hope that was on purpose, a rattle once and gone is fine when tuning but for the whole pull, sheesh...

Comment

Working...
      X