MS: help me tune my e30

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

MS: help me tune my e30

I'm going to have my e30 back together after blowing through two head gaskets ( found out to be the head was warped on top of the engine detonating)

background info: stock internals, goteze hg, arp studs, 1bar, 42lb injectors, stock fpr, stock pump, NGK colder plugs, if i left anything out please ask

where is a good place to start for ign advance? this is my main concern because when i was road tunning before i never even touched it, just fuel. which is dumb i my part..

for afr im going to fatten it up to mid to low 11s under boost because we don't have 93 in town so the best i can get is either 91 w/o ethanol or 92 w/ ethanol

Can you post your current map or the map you used to blow headgaskets?
    Don't go richer then 11.7afr the fuel will barley ignite. Gap it to .025 at least.

TCD manifold?
    I ran this on an m20 should be ok on 91 but you can always add/subract.

good luck.
    Last edited by LowR3V'in; 04-24-2012, 12:56 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by LowR3V'in View Post
      Don't go richer then 11.7afr the fuel will barley ignite.

wat
      '84 318i M10B18 147- Safari Beige
      NA: 93whp/90ftlbs, MS2E w/ LC, 2-Step
      Turbo: 221whp/214ftlbs, MS3x flex @ 17psi

Comment

Stock pump and 1 bar boost? Tried that and leaned out at 4k rpm.

My ign. base settings.

Fuel burns best at around 12 AFR, and "cleanest" at 14.7

Comment

never had problems with leaning out, i was at solid 12.5-13 underboost while i was tunning and didnt get past that before it blew

Comment

wait how do you take screenshots of your tables like that ^
            because i have yet to figure it out

Comment

ctrl + prt scr, then ctrl + v into feks photoshop.

Comment

okay well im having trouble figuring it out, i can tell you mine is off by 10 in some places compared to yours.

so i know that's not good, should i copy mine identical to yours? will that be a safe starting point or should i back off even more than yours? im looking for reliability more then power right now so i can drive it for more then two days

Comment

okay well i copied kvasi's table, the car is running and i drove it and hit no boost whatsoever. it drives fine, but seems a bit hesitant but that could be just me.

is this ing tune safe enough for me to hit 1 bar? i dont want to go all out and see if this did the trick or not lol

Comment

Originally posted by dmjensen View Post
                    okay well i copied kvasi's table, the car is running and i drove it and hit no boost whatsoever. it drives fine, but seems a bit hesitant but that could be just me.

is this ing tune safe enough for me to hit 1 bar? i dont want to go all out and see if this did the trick or not lol
                    I think you need to read a bit on tuning, then setup a det can, and go tune.

fuel is another issue, not just spark timing. You should not be going to full WOT without tuning transient cells or low boost cells. You keep doing what you've done and you're going to pop more head gaskets.

Comment

I know i do haha, i need to be able to dd until i get my e21 im buying tomorrow driveable. Otherwise im all for blowing headgaskets vs. Breaking other stuff.
                      Ive been reading but im just not quite taking it all in, and ive sourced a set of those big nasty headphones for making some det cans.

Im just saying is this a decent spark setup to get away with a weeks worth of driving without blowing a gasket..?

Comment

Originally posted by dmjensen View Post
                        Im just saying is this a decent spark setup to get away with a weeks worth of driving without blowing a gasket..?
                        Originally posted by Jaxx_ View Post
                        fuel is another issue, not just spark timing.
                        You can grenade your motor(or head gasket) because of lean conditions, regardless of spark timing.

Comment

I plan on upgrading to a walbro 255 I think is what it is.
                          I'm short on funds and still have yet to get my dd ready to go. When I do start re tuning should I swap out wg springs for a 10psi to get started or just leave it at a bar?

And I'm experiencing hesitation at low rmps and when I shift while rmps drop, what would commonly cause that to happen?

Also when you say keep doing what your doing and I'll blow more gaskets and I should be tunning low cells not wot, I have yet to actually go to wot. These have been blowing just because the head was so warped. Yes the ign map probably made it worse but the head was in fact very warped. I've been tunning through the rmps without boost at all just easing through, and then slowly building boost up to about 7 lbs is where i was stopping just to keep adding or reducing fuel. I just didn't get enough tunning in before they blew.
                          Last edited by dmjensen; 05-07-2012, 01:09 PM.

Comment

Working...
                          X