X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cold air intakes E=30

Need some opinions on the above, using my AFM 1988 325is

Thanks for your opinions
    Last edited by barry; 07-27-2012, 08:00 AM.

A). Wrong forum.
    B). Don't bother. The stock intake gives you colder air than any of the kits. Throw in a K&N panel filter if you insist on messing with it.
    2006 GMC Sierra 2500HD 4WD LBZ/Allison
    2002 BMW M3 Alpinweiß/Black
    1999 323i GTS2 Alpinweiß
    1995 M3 Dakargelb/Black
    - S50B32/S6S420G/3.91
    1990 325is Brilliantrot/Tan
    1989 M3 Alpinweiß/Black

Hers: 1996 Porsche 911 Turbo Black/Black
    Hers: 1988 325iX Coupe Diamantschwartz/Black 5spd

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by nrubenstein View Post
      A). Wrong forum.
      B). Don't bother. The stock intake gives you colder air than any of the kits. Throw in a K&N panel filter if you insist on messing with it.
      Gotcha, sorry for the form problem.
      Thanks

Comment

The K&N might be a waste also.
        Run a vac gauge on your manifold to see how much vac it pulls with no airbox at all.
        Then put in the stock setup.

If there's no difference
        then the oil soaked gauze replacement is a waste.
        An m30b35 airbox and stock filter is no restriction at least.
        The throttle body was slightly.

Don't mod just to mod. That's how ricers were born :D

Comment

stock will do just fine
          Last edited by mr.vang; 08-10-2012, 08:40 PM.
          Bought parts from me before? leave your feedback here

Comment

Thanks Vang,

Great decision maker

Barry

Comment

I'm using a BMC CDA atm, it's pretty good when it comes to induction noise but I haven't done any readings and never had the stock airbox installed in the car because of space limitations.

edit: went with that one since ppl have gotten actual results with them plus it's a filter within a carbon wrapped airbox so I hope that I'd be better at cooling than an open filter in the bay...
              ლ(ಠ益ಠლ)Be Afraid Of The Future

Comment

I switched to a Miller MAF. The big downside to ditching the stock air box in the the stock AFM needs a velocity stack to function right. But yes heat is a large issue as had been mentioned. The velocity stack is the key though. I mad my own velocity stack for the stock AFM and go all the lost power back.
                I made my own cold air kit. I use an ITG foam filter for the pure reason its easy to clean and seem to flow pretty well. I picked up some ducting panels and cut my own heat shield. I further enhanced this with insulation stick on foam. I have checked temps with a pyrometer and can have a huge difference in the protected side of the filter than the rest of the engine bay.
                sigpic"If one does not fail at times, then one has not challenged himself." -Ferdinand Porsche
                The ugly car: http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=209713

Comment

Originally posted by bmwguy325is View Post
                  I switched to a Miller MAF. The big downside to ditching the stock air box in the the stock AFM needs a velocity stack to function right. But yes heat is a large issue as had been mentioned. The velocity stack is the key though. I mad my own velocity stack for the stock AFM and go all the lost power back.
                  I made my own cold air kit. I use an ITG foam filter for the pure reason its easy to clean and seem to flow pretty well. I picked up some ducting panels and cut my own heat shield. I further enhanced this with insulation stick on foam. I have checked temps with a pyrometer and can have a huge difference in the protected side of the filter than the rest of the engine bay.
                  Pictures of the VELOCITY Stack?

Comment

I understand and agree that an intake w/out a heat shield will only suck hot air from the engine bay and in that case the oem box would be better. However, two things in that youtube video bothered me. The main thing is that at the minimum shouldn't a dyno test have a big fan blowing in the front to best simulate real world driving? I would think that would help test out the claim that aftermarket filters perform better than oem filter setups 2) Why did they test out the aftermarket "pods" and THEN test the oem instead of the other way around.

Comment

Working...
                    X